Re: Recommendations: headphones + spatialization techniques, softwar

Subject: Re: Recommendations: headphones + spatialization techniques, softwar
From: "Paul Doornbusch" pauldoornbusch
Date: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:09 am ((PDT))
I am also a fan of ambisonics and would recommend it highly. I think the be=
st thing about it is that the recording and production format, ie w (omni),=
 x,y,z (velocity), is decoupled from the delivery format. Basically you mak=
e your recording and edit it, then render it to the output format you want =
(4 channel planar, 5.1, 7.1, to 8+ channel periphonic) - see the sursound l=
ist for details.

Quite cost-effective sounfdield type mics are available these days (Coresou=
nd Tetramic and the soundfield sp200), which might suit your needs, or you =
can always build one :) (see the micbuilders list).

As for headphones, for field recording I like closed-back versions and the =
Sennheiser the HD25-1 II which I use (not the hd25-SP, a cheaper version), =
which sound excellent and suit location recording, others like the HD380.

Best,
Paul

At 9:31 AM +0000 26/9/10,  wrote:
> >  wrote:
>> I'd love to hear any suggestions regarding specific spatialization techn=
iques

>I personally am a big fan of Ambisonics.  There are only a limited number =
of
>Soundfield microphone types available, but it is possible to make Ambisoni=
>recordings without a Soundfield microphone.  The really ideal thing about
>Ambisonics is that the path for preparing to reproduce your sound on eithe=
>5-channel or 8-channel loudspeaker systems is straightforward.
>
>If this interest you at all I can go into more detail and provide some lin=
ks.

Eric