Re: Owling in California

Subject: Re: Owling in California
From: "Kawika" dkuhn012001
Date: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:42 am ((PDT))
Of course!! You are right Martyn, Northern Pygmy--I was so amazed to get tw=
o species, was sure of the first as W Screech, the second as a  Great Horne=
d pair, and thought the third must be a W Screech variant call--surely not =
three species calling from nearly the same direction.

Thanks so much for listening--I was even luckier than I knew!
Aloha,
David

David Kuhn
www.SoundsHawaiian.com
email:
808 335 0398
cell 808 651 8247
Mail to: PO Box 1018
Waimea, Kauai, HI 96796
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

--- In  Martyn Stewart <> wrote:

> I am fairly convinced that the last owl call is that of the Northern Pygm=
y Owl. I know the first calls are definitely western screech and great horn=
ed owl but i'm sure the other is the NPOW

> Martyn
> *************************************
> Martyn Stewart
> www.naturesound.org
> www.soundofcritters.com
>
> Redmond  WA
> 425-898-0462
>
> 47.65420118705451
> -121.98158740997314
>
> Make every garden a wildlife habitat
> **************************************
> Listen to the Birds and the Bees at
> http://naturesound.libsyn.org/
> View a Nature Recordists Blog!
>
> http://naturesound.org/Blog/Blog.html
>
> http://naturesound.org/this_weeks_recordings/this_weeks_recordings.html
>
> Follow me on AudioBoo
> feed://audioboo.fm/users/31466/boos.atom
>

> Listen to my sounds on Facebook:
> http://tinyurl.com/ye2dw7p
>
>  P please consider the environment before printing this email
>
> On Sep 20, 2010, at 8:53 PM, David Kuhn wrote:
>
> > Hi Recordingists,
> > I too recorded some owls this past summer. I was in California for a co=
uple
> > weeks for a backpack trip and to record (by invitation and with
> > permission)Spotted Owl (Endangered Species) with owl researchers in the=
 Central
> > Sierra. After many stops while driving around the mid-elevation forest,=
 hooting
> > at each stop, we luckily stopped within a few meters of an unseen pair-=
-the
> > high-pitched call is a female in response to the male. Telinga stereo i=
nto
> > SD702---
> >
> > http://soundshawaiian.com/mp3/SPOW.mp3
> >
> > A few days later in Yosemite I set up to record overnight in a meadow a=
t 7500
> > feet elevation, then returned the next morning to pick up gear. I didn'=
t know I
> > got these owls until I had time to audit the unattended recording when =
I got
> > home to Hawaii--what luck! Western Screech and Great Horned Owls, 0600 =
hours.
> > The echo is off big Douglas fir and Lodgepole trees around the meadow. =
SD702