Re: more recordings on my web site!

Subject: Re: more recordings on my web site!
From: "chrishails50" chrishails50
Date: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:34 pm ((PDT))

Dear Juan,

Very nice recordings - good work, I am full of admiration for what you do. =
I really liked the Trogon on your recent posts - one of my favorite familie=
s with good memories of my first rain forest experiences.I don't think you =
have had a response to your question so I will attempt an answer to see if =
it helps.

I am sure that your ears are more sensitive than mine, but I am not sure wh=
at is the hiss that is annoying you. I can't see from your site what microp=
hones you use, but from your previous posts I think I remember you are usin=
g good quality low noise apparatus so probably it is not equipment noise. I=
 use an FR2 LE, and from advice by members of this group I set the trims at=
 about 80% of maximum to avoid pre-amp noise, I do not know if that holds t=
rue for the FR2. The gain I turn up as high as is needed to get a strong si=
gnal without clipping or distortion.

But if we stick with the Trogon example, what I am hearing that could be ca=
lled hiss is to me simply a big mixture of rain forests sounds coming toget=
her. In particular: accumulated insects, river noise (is the site hilly wit=
h streams tumbling down - maybe distant waterfalls ?), water dripping from =
all those drip-tips on the leaves, light wind in the canopy, I can hear the=
 occasional knock of debris (fruit, dead branches, leaves)falling to the fo=
rest floor, rustling sounds that are probably small mammals and birds, and =
perhaps some long distance rumble from traffic or aircraft. So to my probab=
ly insensitive ears I think what you have is "normal" background for that e=
nvironment. Others in this group may have better opinions.

If you really want to filter (but honestly for me it is not a distraction f=
rom your lovely sounds), I use the parametric equalizer in Adobe Audtion, I=
 do not know if this is possible for you to use since you cannot see the sc=
reen ? I find a paramteric equalizer gives huge flexibility, but it took me=
 some time to really understand how to use it. The danger in my experience,=
 if you want "natural" ambience sounds, is to over-use it and make your rec=
ordings sound unnaturally quiet or empty - it is too tempting when making r=
ecording of a focal species to clean it up too much. I am sure I do this on=
 too many occasions.

I am a self-taught amateur at the technical side of things so I share simpl=
y my own learning and opinions. Others in the group may be able to help mor=
e. If I have this completely wrong, point us to a recording that you feel i=
s particularly annoying and maybe we could give you better opinions.

Keep up your great work !

Chris

http://www.wildechoes.org

--- In  "Juan Pablo" <> wrote=
:

> Hi,
> Thank a lot, Jim!
>
> One question for all.
> My recordings are a his sound that is very anoying. What are the filter o=
> which are the metods to edit it?
> I'm using a fr 2 recorder. That's my first time wih a recorder with two
> control to set the gain level. The trim in my case Trim Left, and the oth=
er
> control. In which position normally you set the trim?
> Thanks,
> Juan.

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional