[Nature Recordists] Re: Sound Devices updates the USBPre

Subject: [Nature Recordists] Re: Sound Devices updates the USBPre
From: Flawn Williams <>
=C2=A0

> 2f. Re: Sound Devices updates the USBPre
> Posted by: "oryoki2000"  oryoki2000
> Date: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:45 pm ((PDT))
>

>> I think there are inexpensive components that do DC to DC constant
>> voltage today. You'd probably want to start with with 6 or 7.2 volts.
>
> Sonic Studios sells a high quality battery sled with 5V output that
> accepts C or D cells. Only problem is the price: close to $200.
> http://www.sonicstudios.com/batsys98.htm#microtrack

I found a YouTube link to a video showing how to build a USB battery.
They start with a 9-volt alkaline, connect it through a Zener diode
that regulates that down to 5.1 VDC, then a dropping resistor to get
to 5. Pretty simple! Could definitely fit into a cable. And should
work with a Tamiya 7.2V battery.

But I like the premade solutions like the Energizer that oryoki
mentioned. At 4000 mah, that could power the 500ma USBPre2 for several
hours.