Re: clips from the Trinity Alps for identification

Subject: Re: clips from the Trinity Alps for identification
From: "Elias Elias" eliasaristideselias
Date: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:52 am ((PDT))
Has anybody ever used Closed Captioning to "point" at a noise?  That sure
would help teach people utterances and such. and that sure would help us
locate your exact unknown jay-like voc. As far as the background birds, Mar=
pegged track 1. The squirrel being a Dougie.
2) sounds like the yelp of a Spotted Owl. However, the Barred Owl is a low
density resident of the same genus and may have similar minor vocs. It is
not a bird which I have much experience with.
3) is a different voc of a Douglas Squirrel or Chickaree. In May thru July,
the months when I have done most of my field work there, The rapid chatter
and the paced pipping are about equally common. I don't strongly associate
meaning to the two noises. I feel that both may be alarm calls and the rapi=
one just more exciting and imperative.

Elias Elias
Arcata CA/Ridgefield WA

707-633-8833 walkie-talkie