Start-up Multitrack Sound Mixing App (was Hydrophonia Sound Art Cont

Subject: Start-up Multitrack Sound Mixing App (was Hydrophonia Sound Art Cont
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Thu Sep 9, 2010 7:12 am ((PDT))
Hi Heitor--

I support Bj=F6rn's recommendations, especially
Reaper. After getting I/0 patching set-up and the
file exporting settings in the "rendering" window
set, most beginners are using Reaper quite
intuitively. The application provides many user
options for streamlining uses so I suggest
borrowing working templates (.RPP docs) from
other recordists when you want to try something
new. Reaper saves nearly all of the special
settings used for each project so one can simply
save and re-use the session docs to "store"
sophisticated sessions you'll want in the future.
It can run two project/mixing templates with
radically different patching at the same the
time-- something I could never do before. One can
add notes in the timeline that can be exported
(great for logging now and it will be expanded!).

At $50USD, Reaper is a tremendous value with very
good stability, support and an large, active
community. I have used Logic Audio for over 10
years and I still use it for occasional mixes
because I'm more familiar with some of Logic's
plug-ins. Reaper is comparable in all respects
that I've taken time to explore and I find it
generally quicker. Being able to play/edit from
.flac files directly and share templates with
folks who work on Mac and PC still seem like
miracles. If you get into serious post-production
work, you'll need to buy some third party
plug-ins, but that's true with any mixing app I
know of.

The other, key audio tool you might want is a
simpler, two channel editing app for opening a
stereo file, looking at the wave form, making
sonograms, quickly gain boosting it, cutting and
pasting, exporting into different file formats,
etc. I like Amadeus Pro ($40) for this in Mac.
Wave Editor is popular too. I'm not sure about
good, low cost two channel wave form editors for
Windows. Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D =3D