Re: Wind Noise

Subject: Re: Wind Noise
From: "James Shatto" wwwshadow7
Date: Thu Sep 9, 2010 7:13 am ((PDT))
Wind is always an issue.=A0 Make sure that you have a good seal with the fu=
rs.=A0 Any creases or gaps can make even a good screen appear non-existent.=
=A0 Face the mics into the wind to ensure the least gap exposure.=A0 Less d=
irectional mics are less sensitive to the wind (OMNI).=A0 Directional mics =
become increasingly hard to shield from the wind.=A0 And some mic types jus=
t can't cope at all.

In my DIY attempts, adding layers of fake fur is about the only effective w=
ay to remove any and all wind noise.=A0 But each layer removes that much mo=
re of the sound that you're trying to record.=A0 A zepellin / blimp does wo=
nders.=A0 Having that larger volume of mostly still air helps a lot.=A0 On =
a budget some sphere-ish structure (coat hangers) skinned in pantyhose with=
 the recorder and fur neutrally placed inside might help to a noticeable de=
gree.=A0 The outer skin being the gust catcher and the inner being the wind=
 shield.=A0

Outside of the commercial products you don't really have an engineered prod=
uct field tested and mostly sonically neutral.=A0 It's all a compromise of =
sorts.=A0 You could wait for a wind neutral day, but those aren't that comm=
on in coastal areas.=A0 And generally boring in content IMO.=A0 In my DIY a=
ttempts, while not perfect, my mics still hear better than I do in=A0 the w=
ind.=A0 You could try a high pass filter to cut some of the more annoying l=
ow frequencies.=A0 Depending on what compromises you are willing to make.=
=A0 I've even done intentional clipping in post to filter enough wind noise=
 to make out what a person was saying.=A0 Still hideous, but legible to a d=
egree.=A0 For a this is how you spin a flag in the wind tutorial on a < $10=
0 digital camera with video features.=A0 I've had a few upgrades since then=
.

- James