Maximum Pre Gain Interpreting (was SD702 vs Tascam DR680 Blind Test

Subject: Maximum Pre Gain Interpreting (was SD702 vs Tascam DR680 Blind Test
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:12 pm ((PDT))
At 11:17 AM +1000 8/30/10, Paul Jacobson wrote:
>  Hi Emil,
>
>Thanks for taking the time to redo these tests. It's good to confirm
>there is a reason for the discrepancy between Rob's max gain
>estimation of the DR680 and Raimund's test data.
>
>cheers
>Paul

Hi Paul & Raimund--

Yes, the 10.5 dB difference I got is very close, comparatively, to
Raimund's input clipping level measurements
http://tinyurl.com/28oqaa6 and would probably be closer including the
response under 70Hz. Plenty of gain in the DR680.

I'm wondering if you and Raimund can help me improve my gain spec
interpretation skills?

Here are the published specs for:

(A) RME Quad Mic
(B) Symetrix SX202
(C) Lunatec V2
(D) SD Mix Pre

http://tinyurl.com/24z8hu7

Based on the numbers, if there's enough "apple to apple" info to go
on, what would one expect the effective Maximum Gain measurement for
each pre to be? (Or "Input Clipping Levels" assuming this is a
reliable portrayal).

I want to get a feel for the results being consistent with:
(1)  A & B produce very similar file saturation at full gain.
(2)  A & B produce less file saturation than my SD 744T, all at full gain.
(3)  D producing less file saturation than my SD 744T, both are at full gai=
n.

If this exercise is futile, free feel to say so. Thank you for your
patience! Rob D