3. Re: M/S recording setup

Subject: 3. Re: M/S recording setup
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:31 am ((PDT))
At 10:38 AM -0700 8/19/10, James Shatto wrote:

>Yes the sample rate remains the same.  Yes the file size probably
>remains the same.  And yes the duration of the recording stays the
>same.  But I find it hard to believe that a twice edited digital
>file (L/R -> M/S -> L/R) is a bit for bit exact copy of the
>original(even if you exclude the headers from the comparison).  Not
>that any differences are audible to most people.  Or reproduce-able
>by a lot of cheap audio equipment.

Hi James--
The file is restored _exactly_ the same (at unity settings). I'd
assume this would be the case but with earlier MS plug-ins I tried,
the files did not come out identical. Perhaps Tom Erbe's plug-in is
simpler/cleaner.

This may be good news to folks who were concerned that they lost
quality/flexibility by decoding the Mid and Side channels as the
recorded them. I use M-S processing almost routinely these days even
on non-MS recordings.

>Of course the sample count is the same, you're saving out to a file
>of the same sample rate, same number of channels, and same duration.
>Independent of actual content.  Why would the count of bits change?
>But is the CONTENT of the bits an EXACT match to the original after
>edits?

There are no edits, just two steps of processing that do and undoing
the "decoding."

I encourage you to do some tests to further explore what your ears
are sensing and need to make physical so others can hear it too.
Note, however-- it does take a while to learn how to make reliable
comparison tests. I have to redo them all the time. Rob D.