14. Re: what is this creature/sound ?

Subject: 14. Re: what is this creature/sound ?
From: "Marinos Koutsomichalis" marinoskouts=
omichalis
Date: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:05 pm ((PDT))

indeed,

but I bet they don' t use sewages there - I don' t know how they call this =
system in english - they most probably use sth like buried tanks which they=
 have emptied when full.. It' s a common thing in small villages like that

On 01 =CE=91=CF=85=CE=B3 2010, at 2:54 =CF=80.=CE=BC., hartogj wrote:

> My guess was based on your "Pin in the map" location which shows it on th=
e beach in an agriculture and vacation village about a third of a mile from=
 the main group of buildings on the main stretch of road.

...> wrote:

> > absolutely not.. this place is not exactly civilized.. it' s an isolate=
d beach - there is not chance there is no sewing system around for lots of =
kilometers..

nos@> wrote:

> [...]
Just a couple of houses and a tavern, or sth like that. No radio stations, =
cables or people using mobile phones.. Well, in our century electromagnetic=
 radiation could be everywhere, of course.. There is a military airport som=
ewhere in the greater area, indeed, but we are talking about a distance of =
more than 10 kms. It' s highly unlikely that their radar would cause such a=
 sound underwater..

-worm lived there or sth else. (it' s not flattering to record radar sounds=
 in a beach anyway..)

ought them second hand from a guy that bought them together for a never-to-=
be-realised-project - so probably they are of the same set - plugged into a=
 marantz PMD661 recorder.

=BF=C3=83=E2=88=82=C3=A2=E2=80=A2=C5=93=C3=83=E2=81=84=C3=82=C2=BB 2010, at=
 5:59 =C3=83=E2=81=84=C3=82=CF=80.=C3=83=E2=81=84=C3=82=CF=80., James Shatt=
o wrote:

> [...]
ctured as part of the same lot with the same materials. Like if you bought =
them used from two different sources at different times. The mics could be =
different enough to respond differently. It could be things other than the =
mics as well. Are you using the same brand of cable with the same connector=
s, of about the same age? And various other possibilities with the field re=
corder and stuff.

rder and preamps. Which would double as a rain shelter. While I'm mostly im=
mune to most cell phone handshakes and stuff like that, I have picked up a =
radio station at least once. There was visual contact with the transmission=
 tower, just a couple of blocks away. Lowering the elevation of the mics he=
lped. Tucking the field recorder under the aluminum bleachers I was sitting=
 on helped. Even making sure that the 1/4" adapter on the 1/8" tip of my he=
adphones was secure helped. While it didn't remove the sound from the recor=
dings in it's entirety, it did achieve a balance where the radio station st=
ation can only be heard when using studio monitors and at a volume that was=
n't pleasant to listen at in the first place.

t seem much worse than it actually ended up being. The odd thing was that I=
 almost didn't bring the headphones to monitor with on that occasion. Now I=
 always bring them regardless. Even if you trust your gear, you never know =
what you're recording at the time of capture unless you monitor what you're=
 recording. Having that immediate feedback lets you know that it's there, a=
nd otherwise makes you search for the source. If you go back after the fact=
 and it was a military aircraft carrier at sea, it might not be there anymo=
re. And you'll never be able to replicate the problem. And always wonder wh=
at that was. If it is the mics you might be able to identify if it was just=
 a loose connection or something else easily preventable. And otherwise cor=
rect the problem on site and get a flawless recording.

e. Or baby turtles buried in the sand near by hatching. Without a visual re=
cord or being there to investigate, we may never know.