7. Re: what is this creature/sound ?

Subject: 7. Re: what is this creature/sound ?
From: "Marinos Koutsomichalis" marinoskouts=
omichalis
Date: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:48 pm ((PDT))

I had to upload the whole recording instead of  this excerpt for clarity - =
but I have not time to convert to mp3 and do so -
it' s only this strange sound i- it is also accompanied by some other tiny =
sounds next to it - like those you can hear to the other recording.

The exact placement was :
the hydrophones buried just a few cms under the sand with a small stone eac=
h on top to hold them still. All this inside the water a depth of  30-40 cm=
 under it. Their distance with each other was about 1 meter. I then heard t=
his strange thing for the first time and I repositioned the left one severa=
l time close to the other as I tried to get a stereo recording.

I never managed to get a decent stereo recording, but I only got this oscil=
lating sound only in the first recording, I can still here strange sounds a=
s if sth is digging the sand in all the recordings from the right microphon=
e only.

I' m not sure if some kind of electromechanical problem could cause this. I=
' m not experienced in that kind of problems.. But I exclude the possibilit=
y of the stone directly hitting the mic. I had to pump up the gain enough t=
o record this sound, a stone hitting on the mic would result in severe clip=
ping for sure - this actually happened in several cases in the parts that I=
 cropped when editing the recording.

On 31 =CE=99=CE=BF=CF=85=CE=BB 2010, at 9:15 =CE=BC.=CE=BC., James Shatto w=
rote:

> It seems too metric to be a natural / critter type source.  Although wave=
 action with the sand blasting the rock holding it down might account for i=
t.  I guess we'd need to know how deep, how far apart, did you bury the cab=
le too?  Sound does travel up and down the cables.  Maybe not at that ampli=
tude.  The metric seems to be approximately 2 seconds and 6 seconds (+/- 0.=
5 seconds).  With that interval and variance pretty much all of the ones I =
took a timestamp of line up.  Which could just be the turn around time of t=
he outgoing and incoming waves.

> As far as radar, there are many types of radar.  And some of the military=
 stuff you can't get down at the marina.

> - James

cillation, often called "motorboating," from the lack of acoustic around th=
e sound. But I'm not used to listening to hydrophones, so my intuition migh=
t be all wrong.