1. Re: Experiments with Primo EM172 capsules

Subject: 1. Re: Experiments with Primo EM172 capsules
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:00 pm ((PDT))
Hi Zach!

 From your site below:

"I'm proof that any idiot with a soldering iron can make affordable
low-noise plug-in power mics suitable for recording quiet sources. Hooray!"

That is correct and I am one of those idiots. But I am so stupid that
several times I put the soldering gun too long at the pcb, which
means that I learned how long you can have it there without damaging
it. Then I am also so stupid that I might heat up a shrink tube
around it, and discover that the membranes get hurt if I do it wrong
and than I have to start all over.

After that I continue to make mistakes, like using a clamp that
squeaks when the mic is used or  that comes loose, either of which
means that I have to find another clamp. Then when I fix all those
matters, I think that one capsule makes too much noise. So, without
realizing what kind of trouble I am getting into, I connect two of
them in parallel and thereby get into even worse trouble than ever.
So I make one mistake after the other and spend hours and hours in
the lab to find out the best compromise. Coming to that point, what
was really fun in the beginning has now become a burden.

But then comes spring time! Hurray! I can start testing. And I
discover another mistakes and what an idiot I have been and have to
start all over. Finally, I think that I have found the perfect Mogami
cable, but of course I know that I might be mistaken.

And perhaps I am an idiot, risking my reputation on selling them, and
the possibility of having them all back for repair.... =3D-O !?

But you are right, Zack, making one microphone is easy. Its a bit
harder to fully develop a design that supports the manufacture of
100s of mic's. Basically I have been stupid for 30 years, now, and
learned, and I guess that is what you pay for.

My most light hearted congrats, Zack. Your fellow idiots welcome you!

Klas

At 10:00 2010-07-29, you wrote:
>I've been following the conversation about plug-in power mics and I
>got myself some Primo EM172 capsules. They sound great (very similar
>to the Telinga EM23 pair) I outlined my quest for low-noise PIP mics here:
>
>http://www.zachpoff.com/site2/diy-resources/low-noise-binaural-mics-primo-=
em172

>Eventually I'll try a parallel rig, add some comparison clips, etc.
>For now I'm off to Grand Manan in the bay of fundy for a week!
>
>-ZLP

Telinga Microphones, Botarbo,
S-748 96 Tobo, Sweden.
Phone & fax int + 295 310 01
email:
website: www.telinga.com

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: