Re: [Nature Recordists] Re: Infrasound microphone

Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Re: Infrasound microphone
From: Eric Benjamin <>
Date: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 1:16 AM

=C2=A0

      stancourtney  <> wrote:

> ...I am not sure what frequency response I need.

While I'm not at all sure about Sasquatch recording, your recording problem=
 is

similar to many in that you don't know exactly what you need, because you

haven't done it before.  Given that you describe having heard/felt the soun=
ds

that you are interested in recording, I suppose that we would call that nea=

infrasound in the terminology of the web pages at:

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/programs/infrasound/infrasonic.html

I had originally assumed that you want to record sounds for later analysis =
but

not I'm guessing that you also would like to listen to the sound.  That bri=
ngs

up the problem of reproducing the recorded LF sounds, but that's another pr=
oblem

for another forum.

I have had some experiences with the Sound Devices MM-1 in which it had

insufficient bass response.  Unfortunately I no longer have access to any o=

that data so I can't say anything specific, other than that other preamps m=
ay

give better performance in this application.

In contrast to another reply, I would say that the choice of microphone sho=
uld

be the first thing to check, and not the recorder; if the low frequency sou=
nds

don't make it through the microphone then it doesn't matter what the record=
er

does.

I do a lot of measurements of recording equipment.  Looking over the few

omnidirectional microphones in my collection, my Audio Technica AT3032 is d=
own

only a few tenths of a dB at 10 Hz, a microflown p-u 'match' probe rolls of=

below 100 Hz, a Schoeps Mk2 rolls off at about 23 Hz, Earthworks M30 is dow=

just 0.2 dB at 10 Hz, Shure MX183s roll off at about 40 Hz (I'm sure that's=
 the

adapter), a microphone based on the Knowles FG capsule is down 4 dB at 10 H=
z, a

studio projects C4 capsule on a Rode NT5 body was down 0 at 10 Hz (but not=

nearly as good as that on the C4 body).

It seems likely that the Rode NT5 with their new omni capsule would be a go=
od,

low-cost microphone for low-frequency recording.

Your qyery has caued me to expand the range over which I usually test frequ=
ency

response.  I usually go down to 10 Hz but I can extend those measurements d=
own

to 1 Hz or so.  I  have just one portable recorder at present and that's th=

Zoom H2, because it records 4 channels.  If you use the microphone inputs i=

starts to roll off at 40 Hz and it's about 32 dB down at 1 Hz.  Going in th=
rough

the line inputs it's 3 dB down at 7 Hz and 22 dB  down at 1 Hz.

I want to point out that, just because the recorder or the microphone rolls=
 off

a bit doesn't mean that you can't make a usable recording.  It's quite

reasonable to equalize out the frequency response roll-offs for either the=

purposes of listening or analysis of the files.  If I wanted to make a reco=
rding

that goes down to 10 Hz, I'd just use what I've got.  If I wanted to go dow=
n to

1 Hz I'd have to do some modification of my existing equipment.  Precisely =
what

I would do would depend on whether I could take a laptop into the recording=

situation.

If you would like to see any of these measurements let me know and I'll pub=
lish

some graphs to our web site.

Eric