Re: comb filtering and boundary mics

Subject: Re: comb filtering and boundary mics
From: "Curt Olson" flipov411
Date: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:51 am ((PDT))
Rob Danielson wrote:

>>> ? Can you clarify this part?
>>
>> Listen to just the left or right mic with both ears, to put stereo
>> effects out of the picture.
>>
>> -Dan
>

> Hi--
>
> Here's a blind comparison movie created from the results of a moving
> pink noise test that is hopefully very similar to what Dan
> suggested. The (3mb .zip) download link is at the bottom of the blog
> post here: http://tinyurl.com/2egg33s Play it with QuickTime or a
> QuickTime-compatible player on your computer.
>
> There were no changes made to the recordings other than matching
> playback levels. The mics were placed 6' high and as close as I
> could get them to each other without interference. The 3 samples in
> each group are recordings of the exact same speaker pan.  I've
> temporally also uploaded a 16/24 bit .wav of just the soundtrack: http://=
tinyurl.com/2em2gqw
>  (2mb .zip)  I'm about to see if I can determine which is which
> myself. Rob D.

Thank you for this excellent test, Rob! We now have a useful
comparison between flush mounting, perpendicular mounting and free air.

I hear considerable differences between the three configurations. I
won't reveal my guesses here, as I've been wrong at least twice before
on these blind tests. I eagerly await the big "reveal."

Curt Olson