SD7xx recorder users. Help needed

Subject: SD7xx recorder users. Help needed
From: "jtudor2005" jtudor2005
Date: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:35 am ((PDT))
If you use a SD7xx recorder you'll know that you can record M/S in two ways=
. Either as M/S decoded to L/R during recording. Or as discreet M&S tracks =
for decoding later in your DAW. When using this second method, you monitor =
via headphones as M/S 1,2 (or M/S A,B).

However, if you want to use the 'Tape Out' to feed monitors during a record=
ing session (or playback) without having to unplug the headphones all the t=
ime), it only outputs L/R, so you actually get the M in the left speaker an=
d the S in the right with no decoding performed. I use the tape out for rec=
ording and playback during orchestral rehearsals so the performers can get =
instant feedback on a piece.

I've put a 'feature request' into SD via their forum for the 'lesser' 7xx (=
702/744) to have the same function for the 'Tape Out' as the 788 has. The 7=
88 has a menu function called "headphone settings to tape out" which allows=
 for the tape out to receive any H/P setting such as M/S 1, 2 etc.

SD don't think there is enough interest to warrant the 788 firmware functio=
n to be implemented on the poorer siblings.

Any SD user here that would like to add a 'Yes please, I could use that fun=
ction too' to my post on the forum, I would greatly appreciate it.

http://forums.sounddevices.com/showthread.php?t=3D2056

I'm sure you'd find it a benefit somewhere in your use of these otherwise w=
onderful SD recorders.

Muchly appreciated in advance..........