Re: soundcloud tracks

Subject: Re: soundcloud tracks
From: "Mark Brennan" markbrennanfinear=
Date: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:08 pm ((PDT))

Hi all, in response to Michael's question on the Red Tailed Hawk=C2=A0recor=
ding.

I spend a lot of time in one particular remote location. It's an old growth=
=C2=A0Red
Spruce forest that runs along side a lake. The=C2=A0area has a good hiking =
trail
through various habitats in the forest. The great thing is that I have
never=C2=A0seen another person here! So I usually head out before daylight =
and am in
the woods before dawn most times. I walk very slowly, always with my gear a=
t the
ready, it takes about=C2=A030 seconds to set up. I stop frequently and list=
en all
the=C2=A0time. On the back end of the forest, it is even more remote, so re=
mote that
Bobcats use it the trail a great deal. On the day i recorded the Red Tailed=

Hawks=C2=A0I had noticed a lot of noise from smaller birds=C2=A0in the cano=
py. When you
hear this, it's=C2=A0usually a raptor perched somewhere, mostly owls in a f=
orest like
this. So i knew something was 'up' then=C2=A0I=C2=A0saw one of the Hawks ci=
rcling just
above the canopy and the=C2=A0other flying=C2=A0from tree to tree, calling =
back and forth.
I set my gear up where I thought they would end up and left. This is the
favourite part for me, leaving to get out of sight and=C2=A0just listening =
to hear
what the recorder is picking up.

I have been near to Goshawk nests, great horned owl nests, saw-whet owls, b=
arred
owls, ravens, kestrels, Broad Winged Hawks, =C2=A0but never a Red Tailed Ha=
wk. So it
was a first for me! I have nest boxes for saw-whets, barred owls, and Kestr=
els,
boreal chickadees and Tree Swallows.

I suppose it=C2=A0comes down to one thing really, spending lots of time in =
the right
places,=C2=A0everything I hear and see is fantastic but once in a while som=
ething
really wonderful happens. Incidentally i recorded a pair of=C2=A0black back=
ed
woodpeckers feeding that same morning about an hour before, I will post thi=
s to
soundcloud soon. I was in the woods for 6 hours altogether that day and cam=
e out
with these=C2=A0two decent 'finds'.

Very windy here lately, even at night, so not a lot of recording in the fie=
ld.

Cheers all,

=C2=A0
Mark