Listening for the Future: ASAE Symposium July 9=9611

Subject: Listening for the Future: ASAE Symposium July 9=9611
From: "Eric" eleonardson
Date: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:02 pm ((PDT))
Dear Friends,

This is my first post here on naturerecordists, so I hope my intrusion
isn't unwelcome.

I'm organizing the American Society for Acoustic Ecology's first-ever
symposium in Chicago: Listening for the Future.

I hope some of you may be interested in attending.

The press release is below. Thanks so much for your consideration.

All the best,
Eric

Contact: Eric Leonardson, Founder
Midwest Society for Acoustic Ecology
Telephone: 773-722-0346
Mobile: 773-218-5796
E-mail:  <>

The American Society for Acoustic Ecology announces:

"Listening for the Future" first-ever national symposium addressing
global soundscape

July 9th, 10th & 11th, 2010

Chicago, Illinois June 24, 2010 =97Listening for theFuture will take
place from July 9-11, 2010 to actively engage with the most neglected
aspect of our environment: the soundscape. Hosted by the newly-founded
Midwest Society for Acoustic Ecology <http://mwsae.org/>  and World
Listening Project <http://www.worldisteningproject.org/> ,this will be
the first conference held by the American Society for Acoustic Ecology
<http://www.acousticecology.org/asae/>  in Chicago, home to a thriving
sonic arts community and center for world-class architecture, on the
shore of largest group of freshwater lakes on Earth. An inspiring three
days of discussion, workshops, concerts, and soundwalks are planned in
an emerging field of study and activism that unites a broad range of
social, scientific, and artistic concerns.

Event Highlights

    * Friday, July 9 - 'Citizen Sound' symposium(5-7PM FREE) opens with a
wine and cheese reception, introductions to each of the ASAE chapters,
and presentations by leaders in Chicago's cultural and advocacy scene at
Columbia College, 33 E. Congress Parkway,basement lobby and room # LL11.
Featured guests include Lou Mallozzi, Executive Director of Experimental
Sound Studio <http://www.experimentalsoundstudio.org/>  and architect
Graham Balkany of the Gropius in Chicago Coalition
<http://www.savemrh.com/> . A media lounge,where guests can sample CDs
and peruse publications by participants,performers and ASAE members,will
be open all night. Attendees will how they may participate in the first
World Listening Day <http://www.worldlisteningproject.org/?p=3D667>  (July
18, 2010). Following dinner at a local eatery,we'll be treated to a
concert (8:30-10:30PM - $10) featuring ASAE member composers, performers
and special guests.

    * Saturday, July 10 - Head "out of town"for an afternoon soundwalk
(2-4PM FREE) in Miller Woods,
<http://www.nps.gov/indu/planyourvisit/upload/Miller%20Woods%20test.pdf>
at the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore
<http://www.nps.gov/indu/index.htm> . After the dunes soundwalk,
it'sback to the city for another group dinner (6:30-8:15) followed by a
Chicago nightlife soundwalk (8:30-10PM FREE). This day's events
should provide plenty of opportunities for informal conversation and
networking among members.

    * Sunday, July 11 - ASAE members lead a workshop for children (2-3PM
FREE) and families near Gallery 400
<http://www.uic.edu/aa/college/gallery400/> . ASAE members from New
York, San Francisco, the Midwest, Southwest and beyond will present a
concert in the gallery, 3:30-5:30PM at 400 S. Peoria Street (MC 034).
This event will also be streamed live. The evening concludes with a live
radio performance on Philip von Zweck's "Something Else"show
10PM-12AM on WLUW 88.7FM <http://www.wluw.org/>  (also streamed live)
The ASAE - Listening for the Future

During the course of the symposium, the ASAE's governing body and
leaders from all the regional chapters will be meeting to brainstorm for
the future of the organization. Registration, hotel, travel, and any
additional information is listed on the MSAE's Listening for the
Future web page: http://mwsae.org <http://mwsae.org/> . Please bookmark
and check back for updates.
History

The Midwest Society for Acoustic Ecology (MSAE), founded in 2009, is a
chapter of the American Society for Acoustic Ecology (ASAE), the U.S.
affiliate of the World Forum for Acoustic Ecology <http://wfae.net>
(WFAE), an international association of affiliated organizations and
individuals, who share a common concern with the state of the world's
soundscapes. Our members represent a multi-disciplinary spectrum of
individuals engaged in the study of the social, cultural and ecological
aspects of the sonic environment. Learn more about the WFAE on its
website: http://wfae.net <http://wfae.net>

Listening for the Future Organizing Committee:

Eric Leonardson, Chair
Michelle Nagai
Andrea Polli

Assisted by:
Jamie Davis
Jesse Seay

Listening for the Future is organized by the American Society for
Acoustic Ecology <http://www.acousticecology.org/asae/> , and hosted by
the Midwest Society for Acoustic Ecology <http://mwsae.org>  and the
World Listening Project <http://www.worldlisteningproject.org> .
Sponsors include Vocalo.org (89.5 FM) <http://vocalo.org/> , The
National Park Service <http://www.nps.gov/index.htm>  and Columbia
College <http://www.colum.edu/> .
--
Eric Leonardson, founder Midwest Society for Acoustic Ecology(MSAE)
Email:   <>