2. Re: Looking for a sound recorder on a tight budget

Subject: 2. Re: Looking for a sound recorder on a tight budget
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:32 pm ((PDT))
At 10:50 AM -0700 6/30/10, Patrick Cooper wrote:

>Thanks again for the valuable info, Rob.
>
>I have been considering the Zoom recorders such as the H2. I was
>reading quite a thorough review of the H2 recently. The reviewer
>made several recordings of various subjects with the H2 (mainly
>musicians.) However, at one stage, he mentioned that he recorded a
>chorus of crickets. Due to the soft sounds produced by the crickets,
>he had to turn up the gain a fair bit and as a result, got quite a
>poor / noisy recording. I guess this is the norm with audio
>equipment when using a moderate amount of gain to try and record
>soft or distant sounds?

Quite a few pocket recorders, the H2 being one, are best-suited for
recording robust sounds like music, close mic'd voice. loud settings
and loud effects. Yes, when one increases the gain, the self-noise in
the mics and sometimes the "input noise" of the recorder's mic preamp
becomes more and more audible.

>Though I'm curious how a Hi-MD Mini Disc recorder would fare in a
>similar situation to the H2 with the gain pushed up.

Much better, but one would need to use low-noise or very low-noise
external mics for the Hi-MD to really shine.

>Imagine a scenario where the Zoom H2 and a Hi-MD recorder were both
>recording the sounds of birds calling from a bit of a distance away.
>The Zoom H2 was making use of it's own internal microphones and the
>Hi-MD recorder was equipped with a good quality, low noise
>omni-directional microphone. Because of the distance of the birds,
>the gain in both recorders has to be increased a reasonable amount.
>Which would be the noisiest recorder as the result of the increase
>in gain?

Raimund has not measured the input noise in the H2 recorder so we
don't know for sure how the noise it produces at high gain compares
to the self-noise of its built-in mics. Its sufficient to know,
however, that if you need to use high record gain, the noise produced
by the H2 will obscure quite a bit detail and space in the
recording-- neither are pleasurable with nature subjects and spaces.
The stereo imaging of the all of the built-in arrays is marginal
compared to what recordist can do with full size standalone stereo
arrays-- especially for subjects at distance as you propose.

>  Would it be a close match or would there likely be one clear winner
>and loser? What I am interested in overall is obtaining clean audio.
>A lot of the time, when i have recorded audio in the past, either
>with tape recorders (or with my current Mini Dv camcorder) I tend to
>get a continous, undesirable sound that accompanies the sounds that
>I want to record.

I know all too well what you are describing. Poor sound quality is
very detracting and unnecessary. You are now on track to much better
recordings.

>Incidentally, it would also be interesting to read a comparison test
>between the H2 and a Hi-MD recorder both fitted with an external mic
>(the same brand and model low noise microphone) -  recording soft /
>distant sounds with the gain pushed up. Then see which is the
>noisiest out of that particular comparison. However, I did read that
>the mic inputs on the H2 are a bit poor and prone to unwanted noise.
>As a response to this finding, the Zoom corporation admitted that
>this recorder was optimised for using the internal microphones. Have
>any other H2 owners experienced this?
>
>Because of the number of microphones on the H2 and their placement,
>do they behave like one omni-directional microphone? Ive been quite
>curious about that one.

In my opinion, for far subjects, the internal mic array of the H2 has
a hard time positioning the subjects in the sound sound stage (its
very narrow) and there's very little sense of depth.

>Regarding external microphones, I note that you give an approximate
>price of $300 for a pair of good quality, low noise omni-directional
>microphones (roughly $150 for each individual microphone.) At that
>price range, what would be a good choice (brand and model) for a mic
>that is quite sensitive and has a wide frequency range (and all the
>usual requirements for recording birds) that could run on a Hi-MD or
>other recorder's own internal batteries?

Yes on all accounts. The 4022's are almost identical to the 3032's
mentioned on that page. There are other options to research as well.

Having observed a number of people get their feet wet and then
promptly dive in when they can get the results like the ones they're
dreaming of,..  I'd definitely consider investing enough to get a
system with real promise opposed to investing 50% or 35% of that and
getting a system that will have significantly poorer noise and stereo
imaging performance. To date, I don't recall a single complaint about
3032's or 4022's as per sound capabilities.

>Rob: "You can get better quality for the money by buying bare mic
>capsules if you or a friend is handy with a soldering gun."
>
>Is this the same as that 'how to make your own microphone' as
>revealed on the Wildlife Sound Reording Society's website or
>something similar? Quite amazing really that you can make your own
>mic...just hope I or the soldering expert would have enough patience!

Very similar. Check our FAQ for other links. http://tinyurl.com/278ey93

Incidentally, most sound recordists grow into having several rigs. If
you started off with a pair of DIY EM172's with an H2, you could
still use it as low profile mobile rig when you get very low noise
mics in the future. Most recordists I know who managed AT3032's ->
Art Phantom II -> Hi-MD rigs for years now use either a Fostex FR-2LE
or a Sony D50 recorder. The M10 is okay too, but it has some
additional input noise noise compared to Hi-MD (both at high gain)
when used with very low-noise mics.

Your question regarding an ambience rig with mics and recorder for
$200 total is still waiting answer on the FAQ. Is this still what you
need to know or have you loosened up your budget some? Rob D.

>-- On Sat, 26/6/10, Rob Danielson <<type%40uwm.edu>> wr=
ote:

htm#Disaster_List>https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/www/116/Hi-MD-Handbook/0=
6116-HiMD-Hndbk.htm#Disaster_List
>which is part of the manual
><https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/www/116/Hi-MD-Handbook/06116-HiMD-Hndbk.=
htm>https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/www/116/Hi-MD-Handbook/06116-HiMD-Hndb=
k.htm

>Compared to a simple USB or SD card upload, SS seems really slow and
>unnecessary. Sony was worrying about people copying music and SS was
>their "solution." They've since given up on that but they won't give
>out their HiMD protection secrets TBOMK.
>
>>"All of the Hi-MD models have the same low-noise/high gain mic pre-amp
>>than can be crucial for applications where recordists must use very
>>low noise mics. Your needs may not match these or mics you will ever
>>use. That remains to be explored."
>>
>>Originally I going to discuss the sound recorder and microphone
>>options in seperate threads but oh well, I guess I'll combine the
>>two topics.
>
>A common sidetrack is buying the recorder first and not buying mics,
>recorder, and stereo array/wind protection as "system" within one's
>budget. That's the goal.
>
>>For at least the first several audio recordings, I plan to use an
>>omni-directional microphone in a natural bush setting to get a sense
>  >of the surrounding environment with birds calling from different
>>directions and distances. Given the above information, do you reckon
>>that the low-noise / high gain mic pre-amps in Hi-MD recorders would
>>be suitable for such an application? Also, bear in mind that my
>>budget for microphones would be pretty tight too...probably under
>>$100.
>
>So can we assume $200USD for both recorder and mics?
>
>Hi-MD would be good should you decide that you need low noise or very
>low noise mics in the future. You'd have to spend <$400 to get a non
>Hi-MDrecorder with a better pre. BUT if you are not ever going to
>spend >$300 for a pair of mics, there's nothing to gain in the Hi-MD
>investment because recorders like the Zoom H2 are a fine match for
>the lower cost, or more important;y, moderately noise performance
>mics. You can get better quality for the money by buying bare mic
>capsules if you or a friend is handy with a soldering gun.
>
>I'm entering your question on the FAQ we are making. Anyone want to
>give it a shot? $200 for recorder and mics and stereo birds ambience:
><https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=3D0AZ5kt_Jb6O0yZGN2ZDQ5dzhfMjNmYncydnFn=
Mg&hl=3Den&authkey=3DCLPDwPEP#$200_Recorder_and_Stereo_Mics_Package_for_Loc=
ation_Ambience_and_Birds>https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=3D0AZ5kt_Jb6O0yZ=
> [...]
>>>tempted by someone's particular recommendation.
>>
>>Hi Patrick.--
>>Thanks for creating the new subject line. There are quite a few
>>available on eBay for under $100, used. New, the cheapest model was
>>about $160USD. All of the lower cost models appear to be sold-out,
>>world wide. More inserts below.
>>
>>>I have read on the Wildlife Sound Recording Society's website that
>>>Mini Disc recorders are a good option for nature sound recordists on
>>>a small budget. Though they do have some inconviences that one has
>>>to put up with!
>>
>>One must use Sony's data transfer application, SonicStage which is
>>more involved and subject to lost recordings. You have to adopt some
>>very specific habits and use them regularly. The software is PC only
>>except for the last few HiMD models they produced.
>>
>>>I would be particularly interested in the Hi-MD models as they
>>>record audio that is uncompressed. According to the WSRS, some
>>>models have very low noise mic preamps though they don't specify
>>>many models that have such a technical refinement. Can anyone here
>>>list some particular Mini Disc models that have good mic preamps?
>>
>>All of the Hi-MD models have the same low-noise/high gain mic pre-amp
>>than can be crucial for applications where recordists must use very
>>low noise mics. Your needs may not match these or mics you will ever
>>use. That remains to be explored.
>>
>>Here's some more on the plusses of these recorders:
>><<http://tinyurl.com/yyzrnfa>http://tinyurl.com/yyzrnfa><http://tinyurl.c=
om/yyzrnfa>http://tinyurl.com/yyzrnfa
>>They we're
>  >quite popular. I taught 100+
>>people to use them every semester so I know their plusses and minuses
>>pretty well.
>>
>>>  Of course some models don't have manual recording levels or mic
>>>inputs so that would also be something to look at.
>>
>>Most do. With the first models, it required quite a few steps to get
>>into manual mode. And they didn't retain the manual setting upon
>>re-powering. The last 2-3 Hi-MD models had major upgrades but still
>>require SonicStage.
>>
>>re:
>>>  I'll leave the discussion of microphones to another post.
>>
>>Mics are the hearts of all recording systems, even inexpensive ones.
>>Researching microphone options is the best place to start. Buying the
>>recorder first, its a bit like buying a paint brush before you know
>>how large your canvass will be, what colors you are going to be able
>>to afford and what you are painting. There are many folks on this
>>list who use lower cost mics and recorders and get very good species
>>recordings. One they know what your budget is, they can help you
>>research today's options and come up with the best investment(s) you
>>can make. People pride themselves in getting high quality with modest
>>gear. Rob D.
>>

>>>--- On Wed, 23/6/10, Mitch Hill
>>><<fmhill%40capcod.org><fmhill%40capcod.org><fmhill%=
Message: 40capcod.
Subject: org>>
>>>wrote:
>>>
>>>From: Mitch Hill
>>><<fmhill%40capcod.org><fmhill%40capcod.org><fmhill%=
Message: 40capcod.
>>>Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] New to the group
>>>To:
>>><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com><naturerecordists%40ya=
hoogroups.com><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>=
ahoogroups.com

com/dir/UTASxktL/wildlife.html><http://www.4shared.com/dir/UTASxktL/wildlif=

m/dir/ecfWjyZb/Shadow.html><http://www.4shared.com/dir/ecfWjyZb/Shadow.html=