1. Re: Looking for a sound recorder on a tight budget

Subject: 1. Re: Looking for a sound recorder on a tight budget
From: "Patrick Cooper" dragonblade7120=
03
Date: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:56 am ((PDT))

=C2=A0
Thanks for the reply, Rob! You sound very familiar with the Mini Disc machi=
nes.

"One must use Sony's data transfer application, SonicStage which is
more involved and subject to lost recordings. You have to adopt some
very specific habits and use them regularly. The software is PC only
except for the last few HiMD models they produced."
=C2=A0
Sounds like this software leaves a lot to be desired. On another forum, som=
eone referred to Sonic Stage as 'crappy software.' I guess they may well be=
 right. When transferring audio files from the Mini Disc to pc via USB conn=
ection, do you still have to monitor the levels? I was told that was the no=
rm when using analogue connections to transfer audio recordings. I'm assumi=
ng Sonic Stage can convert the files to WAV files? If I recall, I think vid=
eo editing (NLE) software accept audio in WAV files. That would be importan=
t for some of the audio files that=C2=A0I want to create. Also, would you s=
ay that this software is user-friendly to a complete audio novice like myse=
lf?

"All of the Hi-MD models have the same low-noise/high gain mic pre-amp
than can be crucial for applications where recordists must use very
low noise mics. Your needs may not match these or mics you will ever
use. That remains to be explored."

Originally=C2=A0I going to discuss the sound recorder and microphone option=
s in seperate threads but oh well, I guess I'll combine the two=C2=A0topics=
. For at least the first several audio recordings, I plan to use an omni-di=
rectional microphone in a natural bush setting to get a sense of the surrou=
nding environment with birds calling from different directions and distance=
s. Given the above information, do you reckon that the low-noise / high gai=
n mic pre-amps in Hi-MD recorders would be suitable for such an application=
? Also, bear in mind that my budget for microphones would be pretty tight t=
oo...probably under $100.
=C2=A0
"Here's some more on the plusses of these recorders:
http://tinyurl.com/yyzrnfa They we're quite popular. I taught 100+
people to use them every semester so I know their plusses and minuses
pretty well."
=C2=A0
Thanks for the link. Some good information in there.
=C2=A0
Patrick

=C2=A0