2. Re: New to the group

Subject: 2. Re: New to the group
From: "Patrick Cooper" dragonblade7120=
03
Date: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:24 am ((PDT))

=C2=A0
Thanks for the welcome, Mitch! That is a lot of handy information there tha=
t you have provided - very comprehensive! Being an oceanographer sounds lik=
e an interesting occupation. Ive done some scuba diving myself. I'm betting=
 that not too many people would have your expertise=C2=A0in underwater acou=
stics.
=C2=A0
Mitch: "A couple of pieces of advice, when selecting a recorder, you want t=
o be
looking at music type recorders not voice recorders. Bird sounds range from=

about 500 hertz up to 14,000 hertz and you want a recorder enough range to=

be able to record clearly the full spectrum of a birds sound."
=C2=A0
Yes, that is one of the things that I learned in my research. And it does m=
ake perfect sense...that voice recorders would only be suitable for a very =
limited vocal range. I will definitely avoid those.
=C2=A0
As my first post was an introductory post, I will soon post more specific q=
uestions relating to sound recording equipment.
=C2=A0
Thanks again,

Patrick
=C2=A0