Tascam DR-680 in the field

Subject: Tascam DR-680 in the field
From: "Paul Dickinson" paulcdickinson
Date: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:02 am ((PDT))
To follow up on David's post:

I agree, the headphone gain-stepping is a real bother. Tascam should
fix that. It should also remember the track record arming on shutdown.
Folder navigation is a pain too- I had several instances where I had
to play 'find the file' because the unit recorded in a different
folder than the one I thought I had set it to record in. Fortunately
the latest firmware update cleared up some of the front knob/top wheel
confusion by making more setting values accessible on both, but they
should just make them identical in function- when you're working out
of a bag, the top wheel can be hard to get to. I had a couple other
issues with it (mostly to do with the user interface), but failed to
write them down, and it's been out of my hands for 3 weeks now- so
I'll have to get re-acquainted when I get it back.

My unit developed some noise in the 1&2 channel preamps when phantom
power was engaged. So now I have the dubious distinction of being the
first (to my knowledge) in for warranty service. And sadly, Tascam
won't have it back to me in time for my trip next week to the U.P.

I encountered a cockpit error with my first few days of recording with
it regarding the low/high gain settings: I was thinking of it in terms
of boosting gain (amplifying noise, like on a video camera) rather
than as a gain pad (like on a microphone). So I used the low gain
setting and got lukewarm results, compared to recordings I did later
in high gain settings. I never met a microphone pad I liked, and that
now extends to the high gain setting of the DR-680.

David, regarding the AC power removal, did you have the unit out on an
overnight drop and lose power due to external battery pack dying? If
so, I've seen a DIY mod for the HD-P2 that I'm sure will work for the
DR680 as well. I can't find the link, but essentially it's an 8-
battery sled terminated with 2- AA battery-sized wooden dowels. You
also  have to cut a notch in the battery lid for the power cord.
Feeding in through the dummy batteries gives the advantage of always
being able to monitor battery levels, and no drain from the backlight
being always on. You end up using 2 less D cells than you would with
the standard 12v external, but still have the same Ah rating. Don't
know what kind of conversion takes place inside there between the 12v
external/9.6v internal, though- or how that will impact battery life.  =

Sonic Studios sells a ready-made version of it for $250.00: http://tinyurl.=
com/2clyrd8
  (the link will give you a visual idea of the concept). They
recommend Alkaline cells though, and I just can't go there.

We'll see how mine behaves when it comes back- I'm confident that
Tascam will resolve the phantom issue. My overall impression is that
it's a great recorder for the money, and to get an increase in sound
quality with the same level of functionality will require a
significant price-point jump.

Pd