Re: Boundary Waters

Subject: Re: Boundary Waters
From: "PaulD" paulcdickinson
Date: Wed Jun 9, 2010 7:54 pm ((PDT))
Michael,

I got some great recordings on Hansen, Ogishkemuncie, and Seagull Lakes a few
years back- but really, you pretty much can't go wrong anywhere you go. The
biophony is pretty rich, and the geography helps keep the sound interesting.
The only air traffic is the forest service flying over around 10am every day,
so the anthropogenic noise level is pretty low. Watch out for that one campsite
on Jenny Lake- there's a good-sized swamp right behind it, and you can hear it
when the sun goes down.

I know there were fires up there since I was there last (2002), so check with
the forest service on the burn and blow-down locations. You'll likely want to
steer clear of those areas, as there won't be very many critters around.

I'm going up there the first week of August & plan to do a lot of overnight
recording.

Are you going in from Ely or Grand Marais?

Paul Dickinson

--- In  Michael Raphael <> wrote:

> I'm in the process of planning a trip to the boundary waters of MN for either
> July or August.  Does anyone on the list have any recommendations of
> locations for recording?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: