Re: CMWA graphic

Subject: Re: CMWA graphic
From: "Jeremiah Moore" jeremiahmoore99
Date: Fri Jun 4, 2010 11:12 am ((PDT))
Thanks for the great work Rob.  The format you're using is simple and
concise, while conveying a good bit of information.

I found myself seeing a great place for photos over time as well, timed wit=
your audio xfades.

Looks a bit laborious to create (many useful things are) like it could be
lots of work to find the "representative" audio clips for each time of day.

Also a tech note for you:  You might find it worth experimenting with
apple's "Animation" codec.  It's lossless, but only encodes changes to
subsequent frames.  So for typical moving image video it produces enormous
files, but for a single still image the filesize would be quite small.
 Plus, it looks fantastic.

so long as you're using Quicktime, Audio-wise, are there reasons to use PCM
audio rather than Apple Lossless?  (backward compatibility with older
quicktime variants comes to mind, not sure what the version cutoff is..)

At any rate, I don't want to veer this discussion away from visualization -=
-
which is much more interesting than codec choice (!)

-jeremiah

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Rob Danielson <> wrote:

> At 6:22 PM -0400 6/3/10, ESP wrote:
> >Not your usual pie chart here, no-sir-re-Bob. I love the top image
> >on the Crex Meadows posting with Steve's photos.
> >
> >I want to call attention to it. It's a rarity in this day and age. A
> >graph that isn't boring and gives lots of information easily -
> >almost subliminally. And you don't even know you're learning
> >something.
> >
> >The link:
> ><
> https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/www/audio-art-tech-gallery/pages/2010Rec=
ordistCampout_SoundSample-Preseent.html

> [...]
> >traverse across the graph. Also the S in the right hand side.
> >
> >Thanks Rob, for the uplift. It's nice to see someone thoughtfully
> >present information in a visual form. So many people don't bother,
> >and I just wanted you to know that some people notice and appreciate
> >it. It made my day today.
> >
> >Eric Schmidt
> >Fremont, OH
>
> Hi Eric--
> Thanks for the kind remarks. Nice to hear from you. Maybe you can
> make it up for the recordist campout next year?
>
> A number of field recordist are exploring ways to incorporate
> additional context using visuals. Martyn Stewart has some interactive
> Flash movies you might want to take a look at,
> http://www.naturesound.org/Welcome.html (may have to hunt around a
> bit on his site).
>
> Its become much easier to photograph in the field with digital
> cameras and there's a wealth of weather and mapping resources on
> line. Some of the weather stations in the MesoWest network have
> attractive graphics options, http://tinyurl.com/2dxvuzq I used the
> "large" chart option for the wind vector (pull-down menu at top).
> One can access data for past dates as well. Here are all the
> networks in Ohio:
> http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/mesomap.cgi?state=3DOH&rawsflag=
=3D3

> I took a screenshot of the sound file's waveform and added at the
> bottom; yes, the red "X's" are digital cross-fades between the
> excerpts. I like your idea of coding in the mic locations in the
> still image somehow,.. I've been using Google maps on the side for
> this but one could create hot spots in QuickTime movies to open links
> if there looks like there's a lot of interest. The "S" on the side
> is for "South," associated with the oblong markers showing the wind
> direction varying between the South and Southwest. I could have
> included other weather statistics but the wind had such a huge impact
> on everything that weekend. The only time we heard long distance
> callers was during the Sat evening evening "dip." I was surprised to
> see other calls synchronize with shorter periods of lower wind
> velocity. I suppose I considered the wind because I've been I've able
> to observe background sound level affects on long distance
> communications with my permanent rigs at home.
>
> Inserting the graphic still frame into the sound recording using
> QuickTime is very easy and adds very little to the file size. I wish
> the movies didn't take so long to load, display and play. Recent
> changes to QuickTime may have slowed down the streaming performance.
> I should probably insert the still graphic into the page with the
> play bar correctly sized underneath so the graphic would appear
> quickly. The image data would not be embedded with the audio media,
> but I think there's a way to disable the "video" and still include it
> in a download option without doubling the server space. Rob D.

jeremiah moore | SOUND |
http://www.jeremiahmoore.com/