Re: Mic advice for on/off camera

Subject: Re: Mic advice for on/off camera
From: "ng2307" ng2307
Date: Thu May 27, 2010 1:27 am ((PDT))
In my personal experience the NTG-1s have an interesting quality/price ratio.
Their self noise (18dbA) is not very low but reasonable and the overall quality
is really good. I never had a problem using them. IMHO I don't see any need for
dual power (NTG-2) if your camera supplies phantom power: NTG-1 are less
expensive and more compact.

--- In  "rterry_uk" <> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Haven't paid a visit here for ages, other things have overtaken for a while
> now but things are getting back to normal and so I'm able to move forward
> again with my interest in filming wildlife.
>
> So, I've just purchased some cameras which come with on-board stereo mics
> which, as you can imagine, are ok for just general recording but leave a lot
> to be desired for anything like wildlife and nature. The cameras also come
> with another external, camera mount, mono 48v Phantom mini shotgun mics which
> is an improvement but again not brilliant.
>
> What I'd appreciate is any feedback on suggested alternatives to the camera
> mount mics. The Rode NTG1/2 have been suggested and are within my budget,
> also Audio Technica AT875. I am aware of the AT875 and NTG1 being phantom
> supplied and the camera does support that but I've been told, rightly or
> wrongly, that it would be best to go for a duel power source, ie. phantom and
> 1.5v AA type battery.
>
> My aim is to have ambient sound recorded in stereo but at times have a mic
> that will capture 'that birds song' or the sniffing and noises of  badgers as
> they go about searching for food, just a couple of examples.
>
> Of course keeping distance from the subject is important as I'm sure you are
> all aware, so it's a case of the best I can do given my budget.
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> Regards
>
> Ron

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: