2. Re: Choosing the right sampling rate and sample size

Subject: 2. Re: Choosing the right sampling rate and sample size
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Tue May 25, 2010 2:02 pm ((PDT))
<<> Does this mean that with the FR2-LE there is no benefit using 24
bit over 16 bit? I have been using 24 bit up to now but if this is
true then I had better be using 16 bit and save space.>

<That is something you would need to test and decide for yourself. As
has been suggested it might be worth capturing recorder noise as it is
possible to discern some detail in the noise floor. I've seen comments
to the effect that some detail 1-3 dB below the noise floor can still
be made out. You'd have to decide if this is worth the extra disc
space.>>

In addition to that, consider also that if, as stated, the FR2-LE is
only providing about 16 bits of dynamic range in 24 bit mode, it is
possible that it provides even less than 16 bits in its 16 bit mode.
Obviously if extended recordings are needed media becomes a critical
factor. In other applications memory is so inexpensive now that detail
over space savings would seem to make more sense.

Scott Fraser