4. Re: SPL meter and GPS on iPhone ?

Subject: 4. Re: SPL meter and GPS on iPhone ?
From: "Mike Rooke" picnet2
Date: Thu May 20, 2010 11:01 am ((PDT))
Hi Dan,
            Nice you mention this, I have recently been testing a couple of=
 applications with my low noise omni mic, my opinion is the fabber applicat=
ion / Signal scope pro is the best all round and polished yet due to the la=
ck of compensation doesnt seem that accurate compared to holding it side by=
 side with a real spl meter, I could be very wrong here also, but my experi=
ence comparing it to the Studio Six SPL Pro application next to my Type 2 m=
eter gave very similar measurements that were within .5 dB of each other.

Heres a blog entry on the subject of modifying a relatively cheap microphon=
e, the Giffen Smart Talk and adding a PIPMICS low noise omni capsule in its=
 place.

http://www.urlme.net/blog/?p=3D1439

This enables measurement at least down to 20dBA. - Which is still unconfirm=
ed, I would like to find someone with an SPL meter thats reliable down to 2=
0 dBA and also owns a 2nd generation ipod touch or iphone with studio six d=
igitals SPL Pro meter so we can really confirm if the application is accura=
te enough compared to a SPL meter thats able to measure low levels.  If thi=
s really does work as advertised its very valuable for the nature recording=
 community considering the cost and bulk of carrying a larger SPL meter aro=
und. There also additional benefits such as SPL graphing over time as shown=
 in my blog.

Kind Regards,
Mike.

--- In  Dan Dugan <> wrote:

> > I'm in the process to get a new digital SPL meter and a GPS.
> > Thinking about the need of being the more lightweight as possible durin=
> > my field trips cutting out on equipment, I was wondering if anyone has=

> > tried SPL and a GPS apps on iPhone.
>
> I use both. The meter and analyzer apps from Faber Acoustical work well. =
Because of the noisy mic/preamp you can't measure low ambient SPLs.

> I use the iPhone GPS with the built-in map, and also the apps Trails, Top=
o Maps, and MotionX GPS. iPhone has a rather insensitive antenna, so it won=
't track indoors, in a forest, or near a cliff.

> > I don't have an iPhone myself but if the apps are good and useful I
> > could think to get one so I can have everything on a portable device.
>
> Having everything on a portable device is great. But like a camera phone,=
 it's a poor substitute for the real thing. That said, I use the GPS, camer=
a, and sound instruments in my iPhone often for quick fixes. I also use an =
SLR, a SLM, and a real GPS often for professional results.