Re: Inappropriate microphone / post-processing quiet recordings

Subject: Re: Inappropriate microphone / post-processing quiet recordings
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Mon May 10, 2010 10:43 am ((PDT))
>At 10:43 AM +0100 5/10/10, Richard Folwell wrote:
>
>>A 2 minute flac sample of the original recording can be downloaded from
>  >here:
><http://soundcloud.com/user2340027/1064-section-3-to-5-mins>http://soundcloud.com/user2340027/1064-section-3-to-5-mins><http://soundcloud.com/user2340027/1064-section-3-to-5-mins>http://soundcloud.com/user2340027/1064-section-3-to-5-mins

Hi Richard--
I wish I had successes worth sharing with you. I'm finding the
resonance from the cave tough to tame without losing too much much
body in the lower mid-range and when I try to bring out any treble,
there's broad spectrum noise across the highest registers and quite a
few edgy peaks (not counting the cicadas). The stereo imaging is
workable with some M-S processing but not enough to off-set the
clarity short-comings.

I suspect that the input noise from the PMD 620 might be contributing
some issues. Maybe go through all the recorder settings making sure
there's not a limiter circuit that's on, some filtering turned on, a
sensitivity setting that needs changing? If you don't find anything
on the recorder that jumps out, I'd next want try the 8022 on phantom
powering on a high quality recorder like Fostex FR2-LE or Sound
Devices to see what that mic is capable of. It might be fine,.. it
might be much noisier than 19 dB(A) would suggest. The 8022's low
sensitivity is not a good match for a recorder with high input noise
like the PMD 620. I'd want to determine if the mic is going to work
for me on a better recorder before planning my next moves.

Sorry I don't have easier solutions to suggest! Do let us know what
you discover short and long term. Rob D.