[Nature Recordists] How Snipe tail feathers swork

Subject: [Nature Recordists] How Snipe tail feathers swork
From: chrishails50 <>
=C2=A0
Dear all,

Lots of inspiring snipe sounds here this week (thanks Curt and Mark - lovel=
y stuff) snipes are thin on the round where I live, but one day maybe I'll =
get close....... . Anyway, I had always assumed that snipe tail feathers we=
re stiff things that vibrated like a tuning fork, but this piece from the B=
BC shows the feather vane actually flaps backwards and forwards like a flag=
 in the wind, this creates drag and so the male can demonstrate its fitness=
 by the display. Good high-speed video (wait for the damned advert to play =
through)

http://news. bbc.co.uk/ 2/hi/science_ and_environment/ 10088290. stm

David Kuhn, I add my condolances to others, couple of weeks back I lost a c=
heap camera when someone put a brick through my car window to get it - noth=
ing akin to your loss....

Chris