4. Re: from metadata to archiving

Subject: 4. Re: from metadata to archiving
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:43 am ((PDT))
At 4:55 AM +0000 4/22/10, jtudor2005 wrote:
>   In
><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>=
m,
>Rob Danielson <> wrote:
>  > As I sketched it, the photos, text, entire spreadsheets, etc.,
>could get inserted by placing a link into a "marker" in the editing
>>  /logging app and become part of the "record page" for the recording
>>  (or "event" ). You can add as much data as you want to a record.
>
>Rob
>
>Are you thinking of something along these lines.
>
><http://www.circusponies.com/notebook/features/>http://www.circusponies.co=
m/notebook/features/

>There are a few of these 'collection' databases around and I've had
>a play with a couple, but for the life of me I can't remember the
>names of them. I grabbed this one from an issue of Mac|Life
>
>John
>
>__._

Hi John,
Thanks for chewing on it! I think circusponies may be related on
trimmed scale if its like the relational notepads I've used. Can you
drop in an object and it automatically create hyperlinks?

Inputting several type of data in time-line synchronized, drop-down
windows as you "roll-through" a sound recording is one way to see the
basic interface of the "consolidation" app. I'm no programmer, but I
imagine it involves required cells, defined and undefined cells and
charts (or another easy way to handle categorical selections for the
fauna and habitats). The abilities to create links to photos, urls
(including  pasted in Google map coordinates), other sound files,
video, cell phone data, might come in stages. Media handling like
file moving functions would probably be done by the database aided by
basic folder location "rules" to follow. The audio
editing/mixing/logging/db input  or "consolidation" app needs to
accommodate the programming inside of it to prepare/structure the
added data in xml or something the database handles easily. Can this
be done with "Extensions" like those used in Reaper? I dunno, but its
an opening I'm not seeing in other apps at the moment. Maybe the
community around Ardour is better suited? Suggestions welcome!

I agree with John that the active group programmers around Reaper is
promising but I suspect the tools we need will take considerable
energy and programming skills.  If we get a bunch of people on the
forum making informed inquiries, that might give us a better idea.
That's one of the reason I'm trying to learn how much interest there
is on this list and what functions people consider essential.

I personally think its very important that everything needed to get a
functioning catalog system on one's Mac or PC computer should be free
or very low cost. Do you think that $50 would be too much for you to
spend if you just used an App for running through recordings,
creating excerpts, squeezing them, incorporating time stamp data from
the recorder and adding specialized and flexible data like described
above? I was skeptical of Reaper, maybe because of the name, but it
has proven to be superior in quite a few capacities to ProTools,
Audition and Logic (the full-fledged mixing apps  I've used).  Rob D.