Tascam DR-08 has timer recording feature

Subject: Tascam DR-08 has timer recording feature
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:55 am ((PDT))
Tascam recently announced the DR-08 recorder.   The DR-08 is about half the=
 size and weight of the already small DR-07, so the DR-08 would be no probl=
em to carry in a shirt pocket to record field notes.

One nifty feature I didn't realize that the DR-08 has is the ability to set=
 the recording start and stop time.  I find this useful for recording the d=
awn chorus without stumbling around in the dark, scaring away the wildlife.=
   Position the recorder (and external mics if desired) during the day, set=
 the record start and stop time, and go to bed.  Retrieve the recorder the =
next morning.

Yamaha (Sanyo) offers a similar feature in its Pocketrak recorders.  Sound =
Devices recorders have a way to set the record start time for several hours=
 in the future.  I don't know of other machines that offer a "set and forge=
t" recording function.

The DR-08 goes one better, allowing you to repeat the recording session on =
a daily basis.  So you could record an hour of dawn chorus for several days=
 without the need to attend to the recorder.  It remains to be seen how lon=
g the DR-08's battery will last under these conditions.  Perhaps with the a=
ddition of an external battery connected by USB, the DR-08 may become an in=
expensive alternative to the "frog logger" style unattended recording devic=
es under certain circumstances.

When the DR-08 was first announced, I thought it would replace the DR-07 in=
 Tascam's recorder offerings.  The web page for the DR-08 now says both rec=
orders will be offered.  The DR-07 costs about $140, the DR-08 $180 to $200=
.

This information comes from a quick look at the DR-08 manual.  I expect the=
 DR-08 to have performance similar to the DR-07.  Does anyone have hands-on=
 experience?

--oryoki