Re: SASS & DIY Parallel Boundary Arrays Compared (was FR-2LE

Subject: Re: SASS & DIY Parallel Boundary Arrays Compared (was FR-2LE
From: "David Michael" wildlifeanalysis
Date: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:13 am ((PST))
Thank Paul and Rob for posting this material. These comparisons are really =
crucial in being able to quantify our discussions.

I agree with you Paul, there are a lot of variables at play in the comparis=
on. In particular, the MKH20 and AT3022 have quite different tonal qualitie=
s (in open air). I wonder if some of the 'spaciousness' that we hear in the=
 MKH20 SASS is not attributable to its frequency response - or perhaps even=
 the direction in which the MKH rig was pointed? That being said, to my ear=
, the SASS rig in general sounds much more spacious (not sure about image l=
ocalization).

On another topic, I am now very curious about curved boundary rigs. I have =
seen (and heard) Rob's rig which I believe uses a bowling ball. Is this cor=
rect Rob? Are there others on list who have built similar - perhaps out of =
a more portable material? I was contemplating building a mannequin head rig=
, but it seems there are many techniques to fool the brain into hearing spa=
ce. A sphere might as reasonable an approximation of a head as microphones =
are of ears.

Best
David