Interesting book

Subject: Interesting book
From: "Steve Pelikan" pelikan45224
Date: Fri Feb 5, 2010 6:14 pm ((PST))
Friends:

I've been reading David Lodge's recent novel "Deaf Sentence" and it occurre=
d to me that it would be of interest to many.

The protagonist is elderly and losing his hearing. There are some eloquent =
passages in the early chapters (especially) about sounds and hearing and ho=
w the lack of same affect's one's psyche and life. Much is about the social=
 effects of reduced communication but some is also just about the overt val=
ue of sound (anyway, that's a continuum, I guess).

For some reason it brought to mind one of Rich Peet's preceptive posts abou=
t bringing recordings of bird songs to a relative in a hospital and the eff=
ect it had.

The plot of the novel gets complicated turing into a serio-comic upper midd=
le class/academic  drama (which I quite enjoyed but you might not) but the =
start has many passages related to sound and hearing that I think you'd app=
reciate.

Cheers!

Steve P

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: