Re: Elephant sound recording questions.

Subject: Re: Elephant sound recording questions.
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:44 pm ((PST))
Depending on the habitat, you won't have to be very close to pick up
the infrasound. Half a km (500 yds) in some places (where there's
dense undergrowth or rare forests and it's dry). 2km (1.25 mi) will do
in others (like near waterholes and sites like a bai)

Be especially careful! Elephants are among the three most dangerous
large animals in the African plains (and forests). A seasoned
traveller quite familiar with large African game was stomped on and
out just last week. I once saw a large bull charge a Land Rover and
flip it upside down by picking it up with its tusks and literally
throwing it with its head...tourists (idiots, who happened to be
egging it on) and all.

Because a 15Hz vocalization wave form is about 20m in length you will
not have to get close to get good signal. In general, elephants can be
pretty loud (often in the 95+dB) in all frequency ranges. You have the
right equipment. Good luck.

Bernie Krause, PhD