Re: getting the capsule off a 3032 (!)

Subject: Re: getting the capsule off a 3032 (!)
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:25 pm ((PST))
At 12:17 AM -0800 1/10/10, Dan Dugan wrote:
>  > That's very interesting. Can you post a photo of the capsule and how
>>  it got liberated? I think you may be the first consumer to achieve
>>  this and witness the insides. I recall that Mike Feldman and some
>>  other folks were stymied. Rob D.
>
>Well they should have been. It turns out that the threads are glued
>(looks like cyano-acrylic), so that some come off easily and others
>only with great difficulty.
>
>I investigated six 3032s. Three capsules unscrewed easily by hand.
>One opened with a two-point spanner tool in the circumference of the
>grill slots. The last two resisted that technique to the point of
>cosmetic damage. Determined, I got the fifth off with Channellock
>pliers gripping the capsule and a full hand grip on the body,
>leaving tool marks on the capsule. Even that method wouldn't loosen
>the sixth, I had to use pliers on both the capsule and the mic body.
>
>Don't do this at home. I think they do make non-marring pliers for
>jobs like this. This Old House suggests cutting the fingers off
>gloves and putting them on the jaws of the pliers.
>
>Photo of the disassembled mic at:
>
><<http://www.dandugan.com/downloads/Miscellany/>http://www.dandugan.com/downloads/Miscellany/>
>
>-Dan Dugan

Hi Dan--
Courageous. I hope all six now screw on and off easily after the
cement residue was removed. :-)

The AT4022, the 3032's replacement, might have similar screw-on
capsules: http://tinyurl.com/yampp6d

For smaller a profile, there was interest in separating the 3032's
capsule from the barrel/electronics using an extension cable
something like: http://tinyurl.com/yaf4n6b. I suppose the unbalanced
cable would be quite vulnerable to RF and other noise.

Thanks for the effort and sharing your success with us. Rob D.