8. Re: Stereo

Subject: 8. Re: Stereo
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Sun Jan 3, 2010 4:25 pm ((PST))
>  the "Fantasound" version, that only played in half a dozen big cities, w=
as three tracks plus a control track of audio tones that live-mixed the thr=
ee tracks to the theater speaker channels. See the fascinating story:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasound

I have to add an anecdote to this. In the 60s I bought a Buena Vista (Disne=
y) stereo LP of the Fantasia sound track. 2-record set, I think. The spatia=
lization was very interesting. No Blumlein imaging--the Disney engineers ma=
de the sound dance! Really. They had tracks for different orchestra section=
s, and I recall in something like "Waltz of the Flowers" I noticed the wood=
winds dancing left to right and back again.

Like with the Beatles, when stereo started there were no rules, and people =
tried wild things.

I'm thinking that the Disney engineers who mixed the 60s stereo most likely=
 used the Fantasound score for panning instructions--rather than making it =
up. They were from a technically disciplined institution. Or it may have ju=
st been dubbed from an already-panned stereo tape film mix.

-Dan Dugan