Sony D50 versus new M10

Subject: Sony D50 versus new M10
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:11 pm ((PST))
Here are a few notes that compare the feature set of the PCM-D50
with the new PCM-M10.  On balance, I prefer the D50.

That said, the M10's smaller size and superior battery life may make it the
better choice as a "point and shoot" audio recorder that you can always have
with you.

--oryoki

features found in PCM-M10 that are not found in PCM-D50
----------------------
records MP3 as well as WAV

uses micro SDHC as well as Sony's Memory Stick Micro flash memory cards

cross-memory recording:  when internal 4GB flash memory is filled, recording
will switch to using the removable flash memory medium

small built-in speaker

physically about 50% smaller and lighter than D50
---easier to hold securely in one hand
---easier to operate with the thumb while being held, like a cell phone

68% more record time than D50, using 2 AA instead of the 4 that the D50 uses
(http://www.wingate.com confirms my tests)

costs about $150 less

available in three colors: grey, white and dark red

features found in the PCM-D50 and missing from the PCM-M10
----------------------

lower preamp EIN, a small but audible difference (http://www.avisoft.com tests
confirm my results)

optical digital input and output

metal construction is (probably) more durable

larger LCD is somewhat easier to read

switch for limiter, switch for low cut filter
-- I prefer switches to menu choices for these functions, which may need to be
changed quickly when recording

switch for mic attenuation.  M10 has no mic attenuation circuit

internal mics can be set in 3 positions:
-- pointing inward at 90*
-- pointing straight ahead parallel to each other,  and
-- pointing away from each other at 120*
-- M10 mics are fixed at 120* spread

Super Bit Mapping, a Sony digital signal processing algorithm
that tries to reduce noise in recordings.  Some call this black magic, or
worse, psychobabble, but I think SBM actually does work in many cases.

I think that the D50 uses the PCM-D1's excellent limiter, while the M10's
limiter is less sophisticated.  I did not test this to confirm, nor can I say
for certain that this difference means much in use.  So file this point under
"speculation."

disadvantages of the PCM-D50
requires expensive Memory Stick Pro Duo (High Speed) or Pro-HG Duo memory
cards. Made by Sony and Sandisk.  Largest available today is 16 GB.

bigger, heavier, battery doesn't last as long (but still lasts a very long time)

doesn't record MP3 (playback OK)

available only in grey!

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: