Re: Sounds to record in Fall / Autumn

Subject: Re: Sounds to record in Fall / Autumn
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Thu Nov 5, 2009 7:59 pm ((PST))
At 6:26 PM -0800 11/5/09, Lily Plants wrote:

>I love this clip of Fall sounds. It's so alive. makes me think of
>more simple sounds such as Philip Glass and a sound piece of compost
>composting.
>
>Questions re sounds from most loud to most soft:
>1. what are the inconsistent leaf sounds? animals? how large?

Hi Lily--

There are several mammals moving through the fallen leaves, grass and
brush. The loudest ones are white tail deer in the center rear, left
rear and right front. They walk, tromp the ground and snort a few
times. A squirrel is also bounding through the leaves at times in the
left front. There's most always a few rabbit browsing at night but
maybe they're keeping a lower profile with the owls around?

>2. is water dripping?

I didn't notice that! There is a very small spring trickling nearby
both mic rigs. The water that is most audible for me is in the Right
Rear about mid way. I believe an animal could be dribbling water as
it drinks from the small stream.

>3. what accounts for the soft, consistent crackling?

I love that part too. For the most part, very minute natural sounds.
The mics have low self-noise [7dB(A)] and there's lots of gain
applied (about 84dB total). The percussive sizzle, mostly in the Left
Front, might be moisture condensing on the leaves causing them to
curl, settle and "tick." The Front rig is under a large oak tree
whose leaves fell very recently. Nearby small mammals perhaps voles,
mice or chipmunks seem to be producing some very soft stirrings. It
would be tough to notice these sounds if there was any local hubbub.

>4. is there a low rumble in the clip or is that gain from my gear?

There is lots of very low frequency energy in the setting and in the
recording which is usually the case unless one records 20 or more
miles away from main roads and can somehow escape air traffic.  One
rumble I recognize is a calf barn exhaust fan that is 1.5 miles away
Center Front. I think a corn combine might be working in a distant
field in the direction of the Left Front, perhaps 2-4 miles away.
There's no EQ applied under 90 Hz so all of the low pitch sounds you
hear are coming from considerable distances. Thankfully, there's no
local car, truck or air traffic within a couple of miles during the
take-- which is rare. For a sense of scale, the coyotes to the Left
Rear are about a 1.5 miles away. Here's the 4 channel array marked on
Google map: http://tinyurl.com/yf33fd2

>Lastly, what kind of speakers and placement do you use for your own playback?

I use a standardized 5.1 speaker arrangement
http://www.genelec-ht.com/documents/images/faq/faq30_3.jpg with the
speakers a little more than 6 feet from my mixing position. The
studio is sound-treated; the speakers are Mackie 824's. The studio is
located in a rural setting with very few obtrusive sounds so I can
play and monitor the recordings at lower levels and still hear
considerable detail. Rob D.