Re: Dolby Digital recordings from Finland

Subject: Re: Dolby Digital recordings from Finland
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Mon Nov 2, 2009 6:09 am ((PST))
At 11:29 PM -0800 11/1/09, Tero Linjama wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>Here is couple of my recordings from Finland. Both are Dolby Digital (5.1)=
.

>Common Blackbird call (Turdus merula), Vehmaa, Finland, 22nd June, 4:20
><http://www.ksly.net/temp/FI-SFN-09-00383.ac3>http://www.ksly.net/temp/FI-=
SFN-09-00383.ac3
>(8 Mb)
>
>Ortolan Bunting sing (Emberiza hortulana), Uusikaupunki, Finland,
>21st June, 3:20
><http://www.ksly.net/temp/FI-SFN-09-00373.ac3>http://www.ksly.net/temp/FI-=
SFN-09-00373.ac3
>(7 Mb)
>
>Tascam HD-P2 and Fostex FR2-LE. Microphones: Sennheiser MKH30
>(8-fig), MKH60 (cardioid-front) and ME64 (cardioid-back). DoubleMS.
>
>****
>
>Tero Linjama

Hi Tero--

Enjoyable surround recordings. I appreciate the opportunity to hear
your double M-S rig. The depth imaging seems consistent with other
coincident surround recordings I've been listening to with a bit more
contrast between sounds in the foreground and those in the background
than with surround arrays with spaced mics. The localization
performance is engaging; perhaps there's a little less "center"
imaging in the rear than in the front?

After downloading the .ac3 files, I was able to play them immediately
using the VLC Player http://www.videolan.org/vlc/. Are you using
three mics  with the front and back sharing the same Figure 8 mic?
Are you decoding with the Schoeps MS plug?
http://www.schoeps.de/dmsplugin.html How are you synchronizing the
files in post when recorded with two decks? Splitting the figure 8
mic to both decks? Rob D.