[Nature Recordists] sound editing software

Subject: [Nature Recordists] sound editing software
From: Lily Plants <>
Hello, all you nature people. I need help. This is my second email today.

Please advise on a sound editing program for two purposes: (1) clean up 150=
-250 cassette tapes of telephone interviews and (2) edit/mix sounds which f=
it short videos (one to ten minutes). I'll also be shooting for sound/video=
 installations.

I'm new to recording and sound. I'd like to get settled with software that'=
s capable enough. I'm sure there are options other than Apple, but that's w=
hat I have access to other than Lynda.com.

I don't want to buy too little or too much software. will abandon the inexp=
ensive AudioHijack Pro which records from input sources and supports plug-i=
n filters during recording. It's harder to control than Apple's Soundtrack =
Pro as I discovered today at an Apple one-to-one session. Soundsoap sounds =
"ify" - an example of too little software.

Soundtrack Pro is not a stand alone program. It comes with either of two ap=
ple packages, Logic Studio and Final Cut Studio. I'm getting mixed advice f=
rom the Apple people. So I don't know if Soundtrack Pro is good enough, but=
 I can get help with it from Apple (or Lynda.com.

I own Final Cut Express, but it doesn't have enough sound capability to cle=
an up the tapes. Final Cut Studio comes with Soundtrack Pro and other softw=
are packages. It's $850 & and sort of duplicates the video of FCE.

Logic Studio is $415 and has music software I don't need.

Any advice or suggestions?

vividly grateful.
lily