Re: tape digitizing

Subject: Re: tape digitizing
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sat Oct 3, 2009 4:53 pm ((PDT))
At 3:08 PM -0700 10/3/09, Scott Fraser wrote:

><<I've not experienced data loss on discs like Scott reports. I've used
>almost entirely Mitsui and Taiyo Yuden media and burn my discs with a
>tested burner. >>
>
>Rob, what sort of testing are you referring to here?
>As an aside, I always 'verify' data CDs & DVDs, wherein, I presume,
>Toast compares the burned copy to the source file to ascertain a bit
>for bit clone.
>
>Scott Fraser

Hi Scott-

I've not done or witnessed a test myself. When looking into which
burner to buy about 5 years ago, I referred studies that were based
on "BLER" tests. Apparently, there are always some errors in writing
to and reading from discs-- even when the net result is a perfect
verification by the software. I guess the errors are fairly reliably
accounted for with some kind of "correction" process.  A BLER test
counts the errors before correction and I guess these errors are
believed to be an indication of reading problems that could surface
with media deterioration or reading incompatibilities.

One study had tested multiple units of a Pioneer CD/DVD burner model
that had tested well in other studies. They even used the same media
I had decided to go with so this gear combo seemed encouraging.  I
once looked into how one would conduct one's own BLER tests and it
looked like it was over my head. I'd love to know of any testing
means others might know of in addition to verification.

For a short while I used the internal burner that came with a new
(used) G5 when my Pioneer was still packed away. I had errors and bad
discs with that burner using the same media that worked flawlessly
with the Pioneer for years.

Of course, we've all had media of many types that read better on the
same tool they we're written with. So far, all of the discs I've
tried have read fine using the G5's CD/DVD drive, so I only use my
archive burner for burning. At some point it will go so I bought
another unit. I don't burn my "archive" discs faster than 2X speed
like the studies suggested. Rob D.