Re: cd guide to squirrels?

Subject: Re: cd guide to squirrels?
From: "werainey" werainey
Date: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:50 pm ((PDT))
>> I know this is a very late reply to this subject, but I waited to reply
>> until I could return to Lake Tahoe and check my reference material there. I
>> have been contemplating redoing my Bird Songs and Calls of Lake Tahoe
>> cassette into a CD format. I wanted to add a few sounds of the most vocal
>> mammals that could confuse the casual birder, such as the Chickaree (Douglas
>> squirrel) and 3-4 species of Chipmunk. I have found very little to describe
>> their vocalizations and, other than for the Douglas Squirrel) no published
>> vocalizations. The above referenced project is certainly needed and I would
>> be happy to contribute to such a project.<<

People have recognized more widely in the last few years that white-footed mice
(Peromyscus species) vocalize at night, but most call frequencies are high,
with the low end of fundamental coming down to around 15 kHz. Bat detection
systems in California, particularly in oak woodland,  record them fairly
frequently.
Bill R.

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: