Surround Array Design, was Re: Do we still love the NT1a?

Subject: Surround Array Design, was Re: Do we still love the NT1a?
From: "picnet2" picnet2
Date: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:47 am ((PDT))
To answer my own question regarding the recorder, the Zoom R16 looks an int=
eresting device. Stated 5+hours on batteries for an 8 track (simultaneous) =
recorder? its "only" 24 bit 44.1 Khz, which for experimentation is fine.

I didnt spot any discussions on this recorder hence posing the question her=
e if anyone has any experience with it?

BR,
Mike.

--- In  "picnet2" <> wrote:

> Hello,
>       On this subject (but somewhat off topic here?) Ive recently made a =
dual figure 8 mic or blumlien pair:-
> http://www.urlme.net/blog/?p=3D1019
>
> Adding an omni in the center of the pair may realize the native b format =
(horizontal) soundfield mic. The hardware I can cope with but besides the A=
mbisonics plug-ins are there any others that work from e.g waveeditor or st=
andalone to convert the b format to stereo ?

> The mic is an electret and runs from plugin power and is tiny compared to=
 the NT2A's. All very experimental but it may have some promise as a soundf=
ield mic if hacked into a four channel recorder like the zoom h2. Im thinki=
ng of using this to complement a binaural rig and act as a reference in any=
 measurements.

> Are there any cheaper options or more professional options to obtain 4 tr=
ack recording (or more) on a budget?

> BR,
> Mike.
>

> --- In  "grantfinlay" <grantfinlay@> wro=
te:

> > Great idea but out of his budget range.
> > David's happy to spend up to $1000, hence the suggestion of including a=
nother mkh series mic.
> > The only difference between the double ms and ambisonics is that the fo=
rmer has a "circle" rather then a "sphere" pickup. Double m/s IS  coinciden=
t when done as proposed with all 3 capsules in alignment.

:

> > > The real answer is of course to use ambisonics - full periphonic surr=
ound including height. Ambisonic mics work like a 3d conincident M/S system=
... so, you could get a good result with a horizontal native-B format mic a=
rrangement - 2 fig-8s and an omni... it's very like multiple coincident M/S=
 systems.  But you will probably get  a workable result with double M/S, al=
though the lack of coincidence will cause problems in the higher frequencie=
s.