3. Re: High Sample Rates

Subject: 3. Re: High Sample Rates
From: "dan.cesonrocks" dan.cesonrocks
Date: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:01 am ((PDT))
Hello all,

I just wanted to report some crossover information (about the use higher sa=
mpling rates) from the worlds of audiophiles and pro audio recordists.

I won't pretend to be able to explain all the details, but will say that ea=
ch of these groups seem to think that the justification for use of higher s=
ampling rates in recording has next to nothing to do with whether we can he=
ar (explicitly or subconsciously) or record frequencies above 22.05 kHz (th=
e Nyquist frequency).  Rather they seem to believe that use of higher sampl=
ing rates (in recording) results in better sound reproduction due to other =
factors, not the least of which are the filters employed to reduce digital =
artifacts (and which introduce their own issues).

Apologies if this is straying from 'nature recording'.

clay