Re: playing surround on mac

Subject: Re: playing surround on mac
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:36 pm ((PDT))
At 9:12 AM -0700 8/18/09, Dan Dugan wrote:
>  > As for hybrid stereo/surround playback, iTunes will play QuickTime
>>  Normal & Reference movies in stereo and surround. Once on a server,
>>  stereo and surround files will also play in a browser on Mac (and
>>  supposedly Windows with QT installed and configured). Here's a link
>>  to 4 channel surround file I recorded last night. You can see if it
>>  plays in your browser the way your audio card is currently configured:
>>
>>  <http://tinyurl.com/npck3g>http://tinyurl.com/npck3g (43 mb QuickTime)
>>  (If not, here's the OS/card adjustment for mac OS X: Audio/Midi
>>  set-up (an app in the Utilities folder) -> Default Output (Select
>>  your 4+ channel card); Properties For (Select your 4+ channel card);
>>  Configure Speakers -> Multi-channel -> Left Front =3D 1; Right Front =
=3D
>>  2; Left Surround =3D3 and Right Surround =3D 4; Center 5 and LFE=3D6. C=
lick
>>  "Apply." Sorry, I'm not sure how to do this configuration on PC with
>>  QuickTime installed and a multi-channel card connected to four or
>>  more speakers-- but it should be doable. Might try Firefox too?)
>
>My multichannel sound interface is Digi 002 Rack, and I could not get
>Audio/Midi Setup to set up multiple channel output when that was
>selected. Or to work at all, for that matter. The little Digi/
>quicktime whatever it is driver window never came up and the 002
>interface never appeared to be connected.
>
>When the system output is set to Line Output your file plays in Safari
>in stereo.
>
>-Dan Dugan

Digi/Avid and Apple were not on good terms when that hardware came
off the line. I nursed a lab of 002's on hiccuping drivers for years.
We had some success with the Digi CoreAudio Manager.app v.73 in
~2007.

Once the audio interface and speakers are configured, channel
patching in the QT movies works like  a charm, even for browser
playback. Just turn on the amps & speakers, click play and listen to
Message: 5.
Subject: 1. You can drop the url's,  movies or reference movies with tags
into an iTunes playlist and use a Playlist to html file converter to
make a quick, on-line library with active links. Definitely worth
picking up a compatible interface. Rob D.