Re: windshields

Subject: Re: windshields
From: "Tim Nielsen" supernielsen
Date: Sat Aug 8, 2009 8:37 am ((PDT))
I have one of the CineCity blimps, bought it on a whim, because I was
curious to see the quality. It's pretty cheap, but of course, it's
pretty 'cheap', so not surprising. I haven't even put a mic in there,
since I have Rycotes for all my mics, so I can't really compare
performance. But it doesn't really instill confidence holding it. I
think it will be perfectly functional, the fuzzy cover doesn't seem
nearly as thick and effective as the Rycote. But I'd worry about
durability with the CineCity. If you're careful, it might last a while.

But yes, doing XY with two zeppelins would be tricky. You'd need a
stereo bar and something to adjust the height of one up and over the
other. Aligning the capsules would be tricky too since you won't be
able to see them in the zeppelin. I'm not sure just how much more
effective a blimp would be over a foam and dead cat.

Rycote does make some 'softies' that have an O-Ring, they fit over the
mic and have some air space in addition to the fur. This helps a great
deal over just a foam and fur cover. They're still over priced for
what they are, but all Rycote stuff is.

Tim

On Aug 8, 2009, at 2:35 AM, Marinos Koutsomichalis wrote:

> Hi all !
>
> Since I bought some new microphones recently,
> I was thinking of updating a bit my arsenal and buying also some
> windshields.
>
> I am not sure though which way to head.
> My budget is limited so I have two options
>
> 1. getting a couple of rode dead cats and a couple of foams that I
> could use with guns - I already own a dead kitten and I am pretty
> satisfied - for its price it is a nice buy indeed.
> 2. buying 2 blimps from cinecity - I am not sure how good they are
> and if they will give better results though... but they are the only
> blimps I can afford..
>
> Note that I record in stereo XY, that' s why I need 2 blimps...
>
> well, the first choice is for sure more versatile - I am not sure how
> easy it would be to position 2 blimps and achieve a good stereo setup
> granted that their size would make things complicated...
> On the other hand would the deadcats suit my needs ??
>
> What would the list suggest in terms of functionality and wind noise
> reduction ??
>
> thx

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: