Klas's new system

Subject: Klas's new system
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:59 am ((PDT))
Having tried to record the effects of wind and rain for years, I was
immediately and enormously impressed by the detail inherent in the
system Klas developed and demonstrated at our recent workshop at the
Murie Center.

For instance, we recorded a passing t-storm with several systems.
Klas's new device was the clear winner on the detail end. However,
where the Senn MKH MS system didn't do as well on the high end detail,
it did capture the t-storm crashes better (because of the lo-end drop-
off in the LS-10).

Bernie

On Jul 11, 2009, at 7:25 AM, Klas Strandberg wrote:

> Done. Same "rain" recording, but -3db at 4 kHz and +6db at 100 Hz to
> compensate for LS-10 base filter.
> The file is also shuffled a bit to sound better in loudspeakers.
>
> And members, it is impossible to stay objective when working with a
> mike. I do need relevant feed-back. Don=B4t hesitate to comment.
>
> Klas.
>
> At 15:31 2009-07-11, you wrote:
> >It=B4s the mike you saw at Murie, I will send a picture to go along
> >with the recordings so that others can see as well.
> >
> >I was surprised how low-noise it worked with the LS-10 Plug In Power.
> >Yes, "depth of field" is there and it has some "clarity" which I
> >think is nice in some situations.
> >Personally I like soundscapes a bit "softer".
> >I will try another "rain" file and take it down some 3 db at 4 and 8
> >kHz. That will also reduce the mike noise even more.
> >
> >Klas.
> >
> >At 07:36 2009-07-11, you wrote:
> > >Klas,
> > >These recordings have a very nice width and depth of field and a
> > >pleasing clarity. Thank you for sharing. Can you give us more
> > >details regarding the new microphone you have developed to record
> > >these scenes?
> > >Thanks,
> > >Kevin Colver
> > >
> > >Soundscapes for Birders