Re: London Thunderstorm 07/07/2009

Subject: Re: London Thunderstorm 07/07/2009
From: "Matt Blaze" matthew.blaze
Date: Wed Jul 8, 2009 7:09 am ((PDT))
On Jul 8, 2009, at 9:33, Emanuele Costantini wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I would like to invite you to have a listen to the yesterday
> thunderstorm in London.
> Recorded from my window.
>
> http://www.ecciproduzioni.com/uploads/postcards/herne_hill_road.html
>
> Let me know your thoughts about it.
>
> Enjoy
>
> Emanuele
>

> Emanuele Costantini
>
> www.ecciproduzioni.com
> www.imdb.com/name/nm1987084/
> www.myspace.com/emanuelecostantini

Emanuele,

I enjoyed this soundscape a lot.  In particular, I think the cars and
other "man made" sounds contribute quite a bit to the depth and drama;
this is a recording of nature imposing itself on an urban environment,
not simply the sounds of rain and thunder in isolation.

Also, I really liked the steady siren at the beginning as the rain
intensity was increasing.  It was a nice clue that the increased
level of the rain was not simply the gain being increased!

How high up is the window you were recording from?  And what equipment
were you using?

Funny, we had a great thunderstorm here just last week, which I was
thinking
of going out to record.  As was looking out my window slowing trying to
figure out what equipment bring, there was a direct lightning strike
pretty
much exactly where I would have been standing had I been faster about
getting
outside.  This time, I'm glad I was lazy!

-matt

mab blogs at http://www.crypto.com/blog/