9. Re: SP-TFB-2 with Edirol R-09HR or Olympus LS-10?

Subject: 9. Re: SP-TFB-2 with Edirol R-09HR or Olympus LS-10?
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Thu Jul 2, 2009 10:16 am ((PDT))
At 3:19 PM +0000 7/2/09, picnet2 wrote:
>--- In
><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>=
m,
>Rob Danielson <> wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Mike--
>>  I got it. Looking forward to listening to your new "chamber." Are
>>  these your test objectives?
>>
>>  (A) Battery box vs PIP? Not sure what an EM158N is,.."N?"
>
>The chamber I'll test with the Fostex and NT1A's to get a better idea
>of its isolation - this test was more related to the battery box combinati=
on
>when used with the Fostex, e.g did it work, is it any better than the edir=
ol,
>given the amount of noise in the capsules. Looking up the EIN for both
>then using the Rane chart would give the numbers, but tell nothing about
>the noise tone itself.
>
>A. Yes - EM158N is the Primo EM158N by Primo Mic. N means with
>capacitor. 10+33pF
>
><http://www.primocorp.co.jp/product/PDF/EM158.pdf>http://www.primocorp.co.=
jp/product/PDF/EM158.pdf

>>  (B) 3/4 vs Full Gain (with mics with > 22dB[A] self-noise)?
>
>Output levels when powered from the battery box to the Fostex on
>max gain, then trim to 3 oclock.
>

>>  (C) 3/4 Trim vs Full Gain using a DIY 3 x Em158N UEC14 M-S combo? By
>>  "Preamp 3-Oclock, Rec Level Max Gain," do you mean, "Trim
>>  3-o'clock...?"
>
>The 3/4 trim was for the 2x EM158N's, the M-S Mic test at the end of the
>is with both recorders on max gain & trim. (I hope)
>
>What it did show is theres very little benefit using a higher spec'ed reco=
rder
>and carry the "bulk" of it compared to the Edirol R09HR, for these particu=
lar
>mics.

Hi Mike--

Smart to test for this if you are really thinking of getting by with
the noisier mics. Lots of factors to take into consideration aren't
there?

Maybe its a part of our job as a community to help the manufacturers
understand that they need to spend more time figuring out how to
package convenience and high performance and reliability.

We know from Hi-MD's that quiet mic pres are not expensive to add,
yet since 2004(?), there are only four, lower cost, recorders that
can match Hi-MD and they're all much bigger than Hi-MD's: Fostex
FR-2LE, SONY PCM-D50, Marantz PMD661 and Marantz PMD671. Several
manufacturers have incorporated a phantom power supply in a small
package too,.. but none have put all the right ingredients together.

I really don't mind carrying a 744T and a 8 lb. mic rig up the
mountain; its the 45 lb. car battery required for several, 12+ hour
recordings that hurts. On the other hand, we all look like lazy
whiners if seen by recordists a mere 20 years ago. Rob D.