7. Re: SP-TFB-2 with Edirol R-09HR or Olympus LS-10?

Subject: 7. Re: SP-TFB-2 with Edirol R-09HR or Olympus LS-10?
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Thu Jul 2, 2009 8:18 am ((PDT))
While Martyn,  Kevin, and I were leading a soundscape workshop in
Jackson Hole, Wyoming, last week,
we had a moment to record a dramatic series of thunderstorms that
swept through the valley. Basically, two types of systems were used to
capture the moment: LS-10 and SD 722s with Senn. MKH30-40 combos. The
result was a split decision. While the LS-10 captured in beautiful
detail, the delicate fabric of the rain and dynamic forces of the wind
effects, it completely lost the dramatic low end of the thunder.
Probably, because the MS systems were set up on a protected porch (to
keep the Rykotes dry), the detail of the rain was lost in favor of the
compelling dynamics of the thunder hits and rolls (although the rain
detail is easily accessible with a bit of EQ).

Meanwhile, Klas, who was also a monumental and honored presence at the
workshop, hooked up an LS-10 system to a new setup that proved to be
substantially noise-less. However, the low end (below 100Hz) is still
a problem.

Bernie

On Jul 2, 2009, at 7:53 AM, Rob Danielson wrote:

> Hi Bernie & Klas-
> No contest on the quest for convenience and reliability. I'm running
> trials and thinking about taking an MP2->H2 combo on a once in a
> lifetime jaunt with a bunch of 8GB cards. I wouldn't be able to
> tolerate the LS-10's <500 Hz noise for nocturnal and quiet location
> ambience. Its quite audible (those who are curious try "Powys LS-10"
> in the list archive). So far, I'm impressed by the simplicity and
> reliability of the H2,.. but I've just started working with it,.. Rob
> D.
>
> At 7:08 AM -0700 7/2/09, Bernie Krause wrote:
> >Even as a staunch 722-er, I'm with you, Klas. It's a lovely
> >device...particularly when one achieves a certain age.
> >
> >Bernie
> >
> >On Jul 2, 2009, at 6:58 AM, Klas Strandberg wrote:
> >

> >> I agree that the LS-10 input amp doesn't seem to be the most
> silent.
> >>
> >> But:
> >> Having used handheld recorders that switches them self off or, on
> >> occasions, don't work at all for no understandable reason... crash
> >> when USB connected or make the PC crash, dirty phantom power,
> >> radiates HF and in one case had a 300 Hz sine wave at -45 db....
> have
> >> had to switch glasses to read the display, got lost in menus and
> >> almost erased recordings, fumbled in the dark with strange lids
> over
> >> the batteries... flash card get stuck, lids falling off, poor
> >> headphone amps, tripod threads at the most strange places...
> >>
> >> The LS-10 has made me like recording again. All you need to do is
> use
> >> a mike with a high enough output to run over the few extra db noise
> >> that the input amp causes.
> >>
> >> Not having done measurements, it sounds to me that the ME-series
> does
> >> that, for example.
> >>
> >> Klas.

> with

Noise-E158.flac

> >> recorder.

> >> Out)

> Gain

> Gain

> Gain

> >><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>=
.com
> ,
> >>Rob Danielson <>

> >> be a
> others
> >> take

> own

> >> provide an

> the
> >> same
> >> (NT4 at
> >> sphere has

> nt4.mp3>http://urlme.net/audio/fr2le-nt4-sphere-r09hr-sphere-
> nt4.mp3>htt

> urlme.net/audio/fr2le-nt4-sphere-r09hr-sphere-nt4.mp3

> >> traffic
> rigs

> box.
> >> High