Small field microphones

Subject: Small field microphones
From: "Birding Africa (Callan Cohen)" callancohen
Date: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:27 am ((PDT))
Dear NatureRecordists,

I was wondering if I could ask advice on the choice of a small mic? I
have used a trusty Sennheiser ME67 for 12 years now, but sometimes my
space is limited and I am looking for a small mic that will easily
fit in a "belly-bag"/"fanny pack" that I can use with my Edirol
R-09HR when out hiking, to record mainly birds.

My preliminary investigations have led me to two small mics that are
typically used as attachments on video cameras:
the Sennheiser MKE400 and the Ambient Tiny Mike ATM216 (for the
latter, see http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=162 and http://
www.ambient.de/produkte/mikrofone/tinymike/tiny_atm216pd/
tiny_atm216pd_mehr/tiny_atm216pd_mehr_e.html ).

Has anyone used these mics for nature recording? Any comments would
be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Callan

Callan Cohen                         Percy FitzPatrick Institute
        of African Ornithology,
Mobile: +27 83 256 0491       University of Cape Town,
Tel: +27 21 531 9148                       South Africa.
Skype: callancohen

BIRDING AFRICA http://www.birdingafrica.com
CAPE TOWN PELAGICS http://www.capetownpelagics.com